Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2020 Federal Tax Return Rejected

I'm getting the same message:

IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

I've reviewed the 2019 return and the data that is shown for the 2019 AGI is correct.

@tdkguitar wrote:

I'm getting the same message:

IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

I've reviewed the 2019 return and the data that is shown for the 2019 AGI is correct.

Try entering a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the tax return again.

My return was rejected because of the Spouse SS# did not match IRS records. Well, yes, because she is a Non-Resident Alien. Now, I have downloaded my forms, whited out the 999 number I was told to use and written in NRA for her SS#. What about the e-payment I asked for? I cannot do that if the file is not sent electronically. Why can't someone just answer a phone and take a question??

Anonymous
Not applicable

You do not have to e-file to get your refund direct deposited. If the e-payment you are referring to is direct deposit, you can definitely still have your refund directly deposited into the account you used last year or you can update to your current financial institution.

I've had 2 returns rejected this year for incorrect AGI when the AGI was brought in from 2019 Turbotax return and I verified it was correct. Support said it's an IRS problem. But the work around is to check you didn't file last year so the system will put $0 in LY AGI and then the return will go through.

Whaaaat?!!  After wasting hours on and off during the past 3 weeks, submitting my son's Federal and Calif State taxes at least 10 times (no exaggeration) with different combinations of past AGI's and various PINs, it finally went through!!  I must say, I'm suspicious, not totally convinced despite an email from the IRS that it was accepted.  (Maybe another notice in a few hours from IRS that they were just kidding?)  I did as you suggested, selecting that I "didn't file a return last year", the system autofilled a "0"and the Fed form was accepted.  Just waiting now for the CA State form to signal it also was accepted.

THANK YOU, Thank you, thank you!!

jfsachs
Returning Member

So who's created this mess??  I've tried e-filing my Federal and state returns five times, and they've been rejected five times/  Checked to be sure my 2019 AGI was correct - it was - and the PINs were as filed - they were correct - and tried the 'suggestion' to use a zero in place of 2019's accurate AGI to resubmit.  Failed.  Failed. Failed.  Rejected.  Rejected. Rejected.

So irritated.  Was this created by an issue with TurboTax filing software from last year??  Or an issue with the IRS software or database??  I don't know and I don't care.  I just want it fixed so I can e-file as I've already paid for e-filing my state returns (NOT cheap) and the only option I'm seeing that MIGHT work is to print and snail mail my returns.  Really?  REALLY??  That's THE answer??  With IRS already seriously backlogged because of COVID??

Unless someone has a REAL answer to this that will ACTUALLY help, I think I'll probably use something else next year after many years of using TurboTax ......    😑

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for possible reasons and potential solutions to fix your AGI:

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

If the above does not resolve the issue, please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives for additional assistance:
What is the TurboTax phone number?

@jfsachs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jfsachs
Returning Member

See my original post above:

Called the Support line and worked through the various possibilities.  Very helpful representative by the way - got right to trying to sort out what happened.  Greatly appreciated. 

During the call, and at his suggestion, I actually pulled the 2019 tax transcript information off the IRS.gov site online and - lo and behold - our wonderful IRS DOES NOT SHOW THAT THEY RECEIVED OUR 2019 TAX RETURN!!    😡😡😡

Clearly was e-filed timely - the Intuit Support person could see the filing certification and I have the Electronic Postmark documentation with the timing and PINs used.  So it appears that the IRS somehow screwed this up (maybe a bad assumption but given Intuit's records agree with mine, I'd say that's a pretty good guess).

My options now are to spend countless hours on hold with the IRS to see what they can do - not expecting much - and (guessing here) snail mailing all the documentation both to have them correct their issue with the 2019 tax return and file the Federal and State 2020 tax returns.

So frustrated and irritated ...... 

Maybe you did exactly as "ssettle04" advised but you might try one more time to do it but this time making sure, that when prompted, clicking on the option of 'did not file a return last year' and then it will autofill with a 0.  I have tried putting in AGI from 2 yrs ago with no success, last years AGI several times with no success, and also put in a 0 manually in last years space for AGI which also didn't work.  For me it was selecting 'did not file a return last year' and it autofilled for me.   I wish I could find the exact page on Turbo Tax  and the exact words used and then duplicate my experience more clearly but now that my return is filed Turbo Tax doesn't allow me to go back to that page.  Very frustrating and hopefully we don't have to deal with this again in a year.  

mghales
Returning Member

Where do I input my 2019 AGI in the 2020 return?

mghales
Returning Member

Where do I enter the 0 in the 2020 software program?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

You must enter your 2019 AGI at the end of filing your return. If you filed your return using TurboTax last year, then your AGI may be automatically imported. You specifically asked where to enter 0. If you're entering 0, then this assumes you did not file a return in 2019, or your return for 2019 has not yet been processed. Either way, the AGI is entered during the finalization of your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I wouldn't recommend overriding AGI. Go back to where it asks you if you filed a 2019 return and say no. That's what I did for 2 different returns and it worked. It will then have you verify yourself by using pin and drivers license (which you do anyway)!

If your asking about the AGI problem, don't put the zero in. Go back to where it asks you if you filed in 2019 and say no. That's what I did, as directed by Turbotax help, and it worked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies