TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How to amend (change or correct) a return you've already filed

SOLVEDby TurboTax20586Updated 1 week ago

You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

Select the tax year you're amending for specific instructions.

Wait until you receive your refund to start your amended return. If you owe, you can amend e-filed returns once they've been accepted and paper-filed returns after they've been mailed.

Once you begin the amendment process, you'll see your original return. Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund (or tax due).

If there's tax due, you can arrange for payment when you e-file the return, or send a check with the amendment if you sent a paper return. If there’s a refund due to you, the IRS will send you a check once they've processed your amendment.

Note: The IRS can take more than four months to process an amendment.

If your original e-file return is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads