turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I enter the LICENSE CODE from a CD that was purchased

How do I enter the license code

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ link below for instructions on where and how to activate your CD software:

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@JoeWB Follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to enter your license code and activate your software. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@JoeWB   This is a public Internet forum.  You should not post any personal info here in the user community forum.  To edit your comment you can click on the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your posting.   It's also possible a Moderator may remove it in the meantime.

milydia99
Returning Member

I did't keep the box of the CD.  How can I get the license.

Then call in and ask for another code.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@milydia99 Please review this FAQ; should you need further assistance, you may contact Customer Support via phone - contact details can be found here.

dffraser

I have the license code and the screen that is suppose to take the license code does not allow me enter the code. 

Another user posted this fix. See if it works for you -
change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
launch TT and the activation screen should launch. copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
change your resolution back to what is was originally.

Gary85

I can't bring up the box for the license code.

@ Gary85  wrote:

I can't bring up the box for the license code.

What exactly are you doing?   That can be interpreted a couple of different ways, since a license code can be used in a couple of places:

• Are you installing the CD/download product and have installed the software to the point of needing the activation screen?
  • Or did you buy a CD and are now trying to use the license code to download an installation file instead from the TurboTax website?

The rest of this answer assumes you are installing the desktop product and after installation are having a problem with the activation screen, which is the most common scenario.

Are you using Windows?

If so, a blank, partly-blank, or missing activation screen may be related to either a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.

First try the scaling setting.  In your Windows Settings do you have scaling set to a higher value than the normal 100%?  If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

If lowering the scaling to 100% didn't help, then it may be screen resolution.  Try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.  Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

NOTE:  If you happen to encounter a blank popup screen later on in some section of the program, you may have to temporarily perform this maneuver again.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

See this TurboTax support FAQ if your license code is not working or you are having trouble entering that information: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/my-code-doesn-t-work/01/871966

Faro
Returning Member

The license code does not appear on the front or back of the insert in the CD cover - why does everyone keep pushing that fallacy?  I am trying to locate the license code for 2016, 2017, and 2018 - I have CD's for all years, and none of these have the license code print ANYWHERE on the CD cover insert or the CD itself.  2019 onwards codes are listed on the website.  I was asked to purchase the CD agin for Mac since there is no other way to locate the license code.  I find that highly ridiculous.     

@Faro wrote:

The license code does not appear on the front or back of the insert in the CD cover - why does everyone keep pushing that fallacy?  I am trying to locate the license code for 2016, 2017, and 2018 - I have CD's for all years, and none of these have the license code print ANYWHERE on the CD cover insert or the CD itself.  2019 onwards codes are listed on the website.  I was asked to purchase the CD agin for Mac since there is no other way to locate the license code.  I find that highly ridiculous.     

A license code is not required for tax years 2016, 2017 and 2018.  

Hello, @DoninGA @KatrinaLO 

But where do I enter it?

Thank you,

Teresa M. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies