Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I enter the LICENSE CODE from a CD that was purchased

@ krzpez 

See the edit I made in my comment above in reference to Windows 8.1, if that's what you are using.   As you'll see, there's an inconsistency in the OS requirements FAQs I provided.  I suspect that System Requirement FAQ that only mentions Windows 10 is in error and should actually include Windows 8.   In fact the CD jacket itself says "Windows 8 or higher."    I'll notify TurboTax administrators in case they need to correct that System Requirement FAQ.

And I just found a third FAQ, also updated a week ago, that also says 2020 TurboTax can use Windows 8 or higher.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/what-if-i-don-t-want-to-upgrade-from-windows-7/00/...

Hopefully, the alternate method I provided in my comment earlier will let you launch the setup file on the CD and proceed to installation.

BBT1114-Troon
Returning Member

how do i enter license code

@BBT1114-Troon wrote:

how do i enter license code

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the license code - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

yes

@johnfunk00 wrote:

yes

What is your issue???  If you need help in this thread, then please describe it in full and explain what/where the roadblock is.

The box pops up blank.  

yes

@johnfunk00 wrote:

The box pops up blank.  

Although you haven't stated, I'll assume you are using the Windows version of the desktop software (CD/download.)

A blank activation screen may be related to a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.

In your Windows Settings do you have scaling set to a higher value than the normal 100%? If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.

If not a scaling problem, then it may be screen resolution.  Try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.  Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

[License Code Removed]

@61oldsmobile  EDIT YOUR POST AND REMOVE THE CODE!  Never post any Personal Info or codes in a public forum.  It is not safe.    We can't help you with the License Code.  What is your question?  Why are people posting the License Code here?  If it's not  working call in

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

liz777don
Returning Member

I purchased TurboTax Premier from Staples.  When I put CD in it never gets past 9% and I can't find how to download onto computer with Windows 10.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see How do I install the TurboTax software for Windows? for assistance with installing your software.

@liz777don

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carmie40

I inserted the CD and nothing happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you are using the desktop version of Turbo Tax, be sure to click on "Check for Updates" and update your software if needed. If that doesn't work you can manually update your software.

@carmie40 wrote:

I inserted the CD and nothing happens.

First, be sure the CD is not upside down (yes, it happens.)

Are you using Windows?   If the CD spins, but doesn't start installing automatically, here's what to do in the Windows version:

1. Hold down the Windows+R keys to open the Run window.
  2. Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
  3. Double-click the setup.exe file to begin the installation.
  4. When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.
    • The 2020 license code is a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip, or in your Download confirmation email and/or order history. Need help finding it? 

• (Note: The 2019 product has a 14-character code that looks like this: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies