Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

How do I enter the LICENSE CODE from a CD that was purchased

You should be asked to enter the license code after installation. If you purchased the CD, but do not have a CD drive, you may still use the license code. 

1. Go to InstallTurboTax.com.
  2. Set up a TurboTax account if you don't already have one. If you do, sign in. (If you don’t remember your credentials, you can walk through our Account Recovery page to see if you already have an account.)
  3. Enter your license code in the pop-up window.
    • It’s a 14-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip.
  4. Select your operating system, and select Get Download.
  5. Download your software and install.
    • When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ cab72 wrote:

I have my CD installed and the screen to ask for my license code is not coming up!

At the end of installation, the problem with a blank or missing license activation screen might be due to your screen resolution.

Are you using Windows?  If so, a blank, partially-blank, or missing activation screen at the end of installation may be related to either a screen resolution or scaling problem in your Windows settings.

In Windows 10 to get to the scaling or resolution settings click the Windows start button in lower left corner, then choose Settings (gear icon), then System, then Display.   Or for a shortcut, you may be able to simply right-click on an empty area of the main Windows desktop monitor screen (not the TurboTax program screen) and in the popup menu choose "Display settings".

NOTE:  After you change the scaling or resolution setting as discussed below, you may need to close and relaunch TurboTax for the change to take place in that activation window.

First try the scaling setting.  In your Windows Settings do you have scale set to a higher value than the normal 100%?  If so, change it back to 100%. Once the license code is entered and activated, you can later change your scaling setting back like it was.

If lowering the scaling to 100% didn't help, then it may be screen resolution.  Keep the scaling at 100%, and try a lower screen resolution such as 800x600.   If that doesn't work, then try 1024x768.    If still not working, then gradually increase the screen resolution to the next level. Once you get the license activated, you can revert your resolution setting back like it was.

@cab72   Are you trying to install the Desktop program?  Have you started a return?  You might accidentally be in the Online version instead of your program.  Where are you and what do you see on your screen?  Do you have a black menu bar down the left side?

hejiang

I bought the CD from Costco and tried to activate it online. but the system says errors as below. 

Called the number listed but only got in the first time and the guy hung up on me then I can't get through anymore. 

Activation Failed

Sorry, your code has failed to activate.
Detected issue :
1. Your activation code is stolen
2.Code expired
3. Repeated use of code.
4. Your code is not generated in Database
5. Or Your system is Virus infected

Note: Repeated failure may lead to expire code. Do not try to enter your code again and again.

Contact support team to fix this issue immediately. [phone number removed]
Error code: OOXOOO16FA and Correlation ID: c147654ad-[product key removed]5jhdjhsg
Keep your activation code ready while speaking to customer support

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For one-on-one assistance with this experience, please visit the link below for help from Customer Support. @hejiang

How do I contact TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnPaulRickett
Returning Member

purchased turbo tax 2020 and I have lost package in my move.  How can I obtain the license code I purchased?

@JohnPaulRickett wrote:

purchased turbo tax 2020 and I have lost package in my move.  How can I obtain the license code I purchased?

Contact TurboTax support for assistance

See this TurboTax support FAQ for contacting support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

JohnPaulRickett
Returning Member

I have called turbo tax number for assistance and do not get anyone to assist.

@JohnPaulRickett wrote:

I have called turbo tax number for assistance and do not get anyone to assist.

Why do you need the license code?  Are you installing the program on that computer for the first time, or was it already installed, and now it's suddenly asking you to re-activate?  If the latter, we can suggest a possible reason for that and workaround that may not require the actual license.

If you are an Advantage member with anannual subscription, or after purchasing the CD, you chose to download the 2020 installation file last year instead, you may be able to find the license code in the downloads/purchases section of your online account.

Otherwise, you'll need to keep trying to reach Customer Support or message a Support agent directly using one of the Twitter or Facebook links that DoninGa provided above.

JohnPaulRickett
Returning Member

Not first time loading program, is loaded on my computer and have used but system is requesting license number all of the sudden.

@JohnPaulRickett wrote:

Not first time loading program, is loaded on my computer and have used but system is requesting license number all of the sudden.

That's what I was suspicious of.   If TurboTax software is asking you to reactivate, here's a possible cause:

It can often be due to a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.  Or one that is turned on/off when it was originally the opposite.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive plugged in.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.

Another user reported it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies