turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I load my Turbo Tax license onto new computer since my old computer crashed?

Turbo Tax Home & Business (desktop with a download code) was loaded onto a computer that crashed and the hard drive had to be rebuilt.  How can I take my Turbo Tax license code that was lost in the hard drive crash and install it onto a different computer?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Can I load my Turbo Tax license onto new computer since my old computer crashed?

You can download your software directly from TurboTax.

1. Go to InstallTurboTax.com.

2. Set up a TurboTax account if you don't already have one. If you do, sign in. (If you don’t remember your credentials, you can walk through our Account Recovery page to see if you already have an account.)

3. Enter your license code in the pop up window.

• It’s a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip. (Note: The 2019 product has a 14-character code that looks like this: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

4. Select your operating system, and select Get Download.

5. Download your software and install.

• When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.

Please click I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
0123champ
Returning Member

i have not used my lisence code yet how can i use it to do my taxes

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions below to activate your download.

How do I download the software I purchased at TurboTax.com?

I lost my license key and need to reinstall turbo tax on another computer 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please try this.

You can download your software directly from TurboTax.

1. Go to InstallTurboTax.com.

2. Set up a TurboTax account if you don't already have one. If you do, sign in. (If you don’t remember your credentials, you can walk through our Account Recovery page to see if you already have an account.)

3. Enter your license code in the pop up window.

• It’s a 16-character combination of letters and numbers (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) that can be found on your CD box insert, envelope, or packing slip. (Note: The 2019 product has a 14-character code that looks like this: XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)

4. Select your operating system, and select Get Download.

5. Download your software and install.

• When you get to the Your product is installed, now let's activate it screen, enter your license code in the License code box, and select Continue to complete installation.

Please click I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive to learn more. 

Returning Member

how do I get my key from my purchase of Turbo tax 2021 ..  I installed on my old computer and want to move to the new one....

@7068444310 wrote:

how do I get my key from my purchase of Turbo tax 2021 ..  I installed on my old computer and want to move to the new one....

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the license code - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/00/852973

ConL
Level 1

I have this same issue. I bought the software at BJ's and downloaded it onto my old computer using the CD instead of online download. The computer crashed before I could finish my taxes. My replacement computer does not have a CD Drive. I followed the instructions provided here,  but get returned an error that the license code has already been used, go to Downloads to retrieve the download. The only thing in the Download are the 2 state tax software I downloaded, not the Federal (since I used the CD). I did not install TT on any other computer, so I thought I would be able to use the key to get the download, but it seems it's only good for a one time use. I see others say it can be installed on up to 5 devices. Is there a way for me to do this without having to dish out the money to buy the software again? 

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

Yes. You can install your product on up to 5 computers. If you purchased a CD and aren't able to install it from the disc follow the instructions in our FAQ on how you can download your Turbo Tax product.

Follow this FAQ on My code doesn't work. If these steps don't resolve your issue, please contact us at customer support so we can further assist you.

@ConL

Anonymous
Not applicable

My old computer with Turbotax working then crashed.  My new computer does not have a hard drive.  What can I do?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you installed your software from the TurboTax CD on your old computer, you'll need to reach out to Customer Support to request a download for your new PC since it does not have a CD drive.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Anonymous

ConL
Level 1

It took several tries of calling.  The first 2 phone calls resulted in the support person either saying they were going to transfer me or send me a link. In those cases, my call basically got released. Third time was the charm. Consuela understood my issue once I explained it to her. She explained that because I used my license code when I installed the CD, I couldn't use that same license code on the download version. And because I purchased the software outside of TT, it doesn't show in my purchases. She got an expert to help on her end while she walked me through a few things. Eventually she was able to send me a link with a new download and a new license code. My other computer crashed before I could think to save my tax return to a thumb drive, I did have to start over, but it wasn't a big deal. I was able to import my 2020 return and go from there. A few lessons, if you think your computer might crash, use the download, not the CD, or the very least, back it up to an external device so you can import it if you have to go through this. Many thanks to Consuela for sticking this out with me. She stayed on the line until I could confirm I was able to install TT with the link she sent me. 

guido1929

computer crashed. need to reinstall turbo since mine was wiped out. still have 3 licences left to use. when I sign in and type my code it says This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads. all my downloads were wiped out and need to completely reinstall from scratch.  any suggestions??

ConL
Level 1

Did you download TT from a CD that you purchased from other than TurboTax? If so, you need to call them. They were able to give me a new code and link. All my info was lost, there was no way to recover it because I was working on another computer and used a CD. Luckily I was only about halfway through so it wasn't too bad. But call support at [phone number removed]. It took 3 phone calls before I could get someone who understood my issue and helped me through it. Hopefully you can get someone on the first try. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies