Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone know how to get your TT desktop file into the live online version?

I bought the TT online version from Costco and activated it. It said it failed to upload my pdf of last year TT desktop file when I asked it to do that. It would seem like taking that first step of uploading last year taxes would be easy thru TT, but it wouldn't let me. I talked to someone who told me to take some further steps that then meant I couldn't go back and clear and start over, which I could have done at the page I was when I started talking to her. So now I'm stuck and can't start over, have paid $175 for this, and can't upload my 2019 file. She also told me that I could always do it later in the program, but that's a lie because now if I try to do it, it tells me that I can't because I've activated it. So has anyone else found a way to upload a desktop pdf 2019 file into your taxes once you started them? I spent over 2 hours today on the phone with the first person who steered me VERY wrong, then with a second person who was trying to help when I had to get off because of a doctor's appointment commitment (I hadn't expected it to take this long when I asked for call) and then that person said she'd call me back in an hour and now, 4 hours later, no phone call. I'm off to a very negative start with TT this year...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

I couldn't follow all that.  You bought the Desktop download program?  Then what?  Did you get it installed and Activated?  If you used the Desktop program last year you should have the tax file ending in .tax2019 on you computer, right?  You can transfer that either the Desktop program or the Online version.

Then it sounds like  you are  trying to use the online version?  Desktop and online are completely separate so you have to pay for online even if you already bought the Desktop program.  

No you can not transfer into a return you already started.  You would have to clear and start over to transfer from 2019.  If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

Sorry I was confusing. I used the desktop for 2019 and then bought the online version for 2020 so was trying to transition to the online version. I've always liked the desktop version better, but wanted the live help and the line by line review and thought it looked like I couldn't get that with a desktop version, so was forgoing the desktop this year.

I'd be willing to start over and try again, but now when I try to click on that, it gives me this message "Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over" which the second person I talked to today said was because I didn't start under the free online TT website based option, but rather paid for it upfront thru Costco. So she said that if I hadn't proceeded beyond the screen where I was getting the failed to upload file message that the first rep told me to go beyond (first rep said she wanted me to go beyond that to get to some other screen where she thought we could pull in the 2019 file, but then we started getting that same message quoted above) , the whole problem probably could have been fixed by clearing and restarting. The online TT said to try to upload the pdf file of 2019 TT and that's what it wouldn't accept, it didn't tell me to try the .tax, which also might have worked (other thing that second rep said might have worked, but again, it was too late now, it won't let me try to upload any prior tax file). So now I'm down this hole where I can't clear it and I can't add in either type of file. 

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Still lost and confused.  Did you buy the 2020 Desktop program?  Did you already pay for the Online version?  The only way now to transfer 2019 from your computer is to start a new Online return and account.  

How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Then If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version.  You need to have the prior year .taxyyyy file on your computer.  Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Do you have the .tax2019 file?  If you can't find it, Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2019 installed?  Try opening 2019 program and see if you can get your 2019 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

Hi again. I bought the online 2020 turbo tax live self-employed. Yep, I paid for it thru Costco and they sent me an activation key, which I clicked on and entered when I started the online 2020 return. So that seems to be the problem because now I've started and so yep, it won't let me add a file in. I do have the .tax file from 2019 desktop saved on my computer. So I can access that and I did think about doing what you suggest and starting a new account under hubby's name. I'm even willing to do that if I have to, but I don't want to be out the $175 I paid for that other activation key that I now can't use...

Although after seeing your caution about the differences, now I kind of wish I'd just stuck with the desktop version. I wanted the live help just because of COVID and things like getting some of the pandemic program monies from various things like PPP and PUA- I thought this year it'd be wise to have someone review my return before filing it. For the past several decades I've felt comfortable with just using TT desktop and feeling like I did everything right, but I wanted that extra review this year.

I have the exact opposite problem! I used the online version last year after using the PC version for many years. I hated my experience so this year I went back to the PC version. I can access my online version, I "see" last years returns, but there is no way I can download the .tt20 files (or find them for that matter) so I can transfer them to my PC for the 2021 returns. I have the Home and business version; done six returns last year (concerning 8 person). If I have to re-enter all their data manually, it will be my last year with TurboTax.

Hope someone can help me!

@Michel-Henri wrote:

I have the exact opposite problem! I used the online version last year after using the PC version for many years. I hated my experience so this year I went back to the PC version. I can access my online version, I "see" last years returns, but there is no way I can download the .tt20 files (or find them for that matter) so I can transfer them to my PC for the 2021 returns. I have the Home and business version; done six returns last year (concerning 8 person). If I have to re-enter all their data manually, it will be my last year with TurboTax.

Hope someone can help me!

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

If you used the online version last year and need to transfer your info to this year's Desktop version there are 2 ways depending on what you have.

1. If you saved the actual .tax2020 file (not just the pdf file) to your computer before online was shut down in Oct. then start a new return and the very first thing you do is Transfer from .tax file. You can only transfer at the very beginning. You should be able to download the .tax2020 file from online.  

How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2021 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2021.

2. If you didn't save the .tax file to your computer or lost it, there is a way to do it by starting a 2021 return in the Online version, transfer to that and then continue in the desktop version. You won't have to pay for Online.

First transfer into the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Then to switch to the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

Thanks for the prompt reply, but when I access "your returns", and the year (2020) all the files I can download are .pdf, there is no .tt20 files and no download .tyax file option...

Ok, I guess I'll have to start online... I guess I shouldn't have any problem accessing the 2020 infos since the returns were made online...

Thanks!

HI!

I started a new return online as you have suggested; however when it comes to dowbload options, I still have none. 

1. Select Tax Tools and then Tools from the left menu

I simply don't have that option on the left menu... Here are my options:

My returns (view all and Start a new)

Save (with no options)

Account settings

Sign Out

So, how do I manage to transfer tax files to my computer????

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to Customer Support for assistance with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Michel-Henri

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi!

I did reach customer support for the issue. Unfortunately, they can not do anything! I have to start from scratch the 8 returns I did last year! No kidding?!?

I did hate my experience withe the online version last year, but this situation makes no f... sense! I have been a loyal Intuit customer for almost 20 years and this will be the last definitively be the last.

I still can't phatom such a problem in 2022...

You have to log into the same account. You need to start entering some basic personal info for 2021 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2021.

Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

I did exactly that. I'm up to the point where I enter my revenues... No other save options on the sidebar than those before. I'll go no further since I'll have to re-enter that data in my OC version anyway.

(I'm in Canada, just in case it makes a difference...)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies