If you started your 2020 return in TurboTax Online and want to switch to the TurboTax software, here's how.
- Save your online return as a tax data file.
- Sign out of TurboTax Online.
- Install your 2020 TurboTax software.
- If you have not purchased TurboTax Desktop software, select the product you need to complete your return.
- Important: If your return includes a state, make sure you also install the corresponding state program(s), otherwise you'll get Error 539.
- Once installed, choose File then Open Tax Return in the software.
- Browse to where you saved your .tax2020 file, select it, and then select Open.
- If you get an error, delete your tax data file and repeat these steps from the beginning.
- Optional: Once you've confirmed that your online return opens properly in the software, you can clear your online return.