angboy

Anyone know how to get your TT desktop file into the live online version?

I bought the TT online version from Costco and activated it. It said it failed to upload my pdf of last year TT desktop file when I asked it to do that. It would seem like taking that first step of uploading last year taxes would be easy thru TT, but it wouldn't let me. I talked to someone who told me to take some further steps that then meant I couldn't go back and clear and start over, which I could have done at the page I was when I started talking to her. So now I'm stuck and can't start over, have paid $175 for this, and can't upload my 2019 file. She also told me that I could always do it later in the program, but that's a lie because now if I try to do it, it tells me that I can't because I've activated it. So has anyone else found a way to upload a desktop pdf 2019 file into your taxes once you started them? I spent over 2 hours today on the phone with the first person who steered me VERY wrong, then with a second person who was trying to help when I had to get off because of a doctor's appointment commitment (I hadn't expected it to take this long when I asked for call) and then that person said she'd call me back in an hour and now, 4 hours later, no phone call. I'm off to a very negative start with TT this year...

I couldn't follow all that.  You bought the Desktop download program?  Then what?  Did you get it installed and Activated?  If you used the Desktop program last year you should have the tax file ending in .tax2019 on you computer, right?  You can transfer that either the Desktop program or the Online version.

Then it sounds like  you are  trying to use the online version?  Desktop and online are completely separate so you have to pay for online even if you already bought the Desktop program.  

No you can not transfer into a return you already started.  You would have to clear and start over to transfer from 2019.  If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

angboy

Sorry I was confusing. I used the desktop for 2019 and then bought the online version for 2020 so was trying to transition to the online version. I've always liked the desktop version better, but wanted the live help and the line by line review and thought it looked like I couldn't get that with a desktop version, so was forgoing the desktop this year.

I'd be willing to start over and try again, but now when I try to click on that, it gives me this message "Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over" which the second person I talked to today said was because I didn't start under the free online TT website based option, but rather paid for it upfront thru Costco. So she said that if I hadn't proceeded beyond the screen where I was getting the failed to upload file message that the first rep told me to go beyond (first rep said she wanted me to go beyond that to get to some other screen where she thought we could pull in the 2019 file, but then we started getting that same message quoted above) , the whole problem probably could have been fixed by clearing and restarting. The online TT said to try to upload the pdf file of 2019 TT and that's what it wouldn't accept, it didn't tell me to try the .tax, which also might have worked (other thing that second rep said might have worked, but again, it was too late now, it won't let me try to upload any prior tax file). So now I'm down this hole where I can't clear it and I can't add in either type of file. 

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

Still lost and confused.  Did you buy the 2020 Desktop program?  Did you already pay for the Online version?  The only way now to transfer 2019 from your computer is to start a new Online return and account.  

How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Then If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version.  You need to have the prior year .taxyyyy file on your computer.  Expand the link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

Do you have the .tax2019 file?  If you can't find it, Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2019 installed?  Try opening 2019 program and see if you can get your 2019 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

angboy

Hi again. I bought the online 2020 turbo tax live self-employed. Yep, I paid for it thru Costco and they sent me an activation key, which I clicked on and entered when I started the online 2020 return. So that seems to be the problem because now I've started and so yep, it won't let me add a file in. I do have the .tax file from 2019 desktop saved on my computer. So I can access that and I did think about doing what you suggest and starting a new account under hubby's name. I'm even willing to do that if I have to, but I don't want to be out the $175 I paid for that other activation key that I now can't use...

Although after seeing your caution about the differences, now I kind of wish I'd just stuck with the desktop version. I wanted the live help just because of COVID and things like getting some of the pandemic program monies from various things like PPP and PUA- I thought this year it'd be wise to have someone review my return before filing it. For the past several decades I've felt comfortable with just using TT desktop and feeling like I did everything right, but I wanted that extra review this year.