turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax messed up! They did not file my 2018 tax returns

Yes they messed up mine by changing the year of my returns to 2019 which screwed up both years now I can't get ahold of federal or turbo tax

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The only online program available is for 2019.  If you entered your 2018 information into the 2019 online version, you prepared a 2019 tax return, not a 2018 tax return. 

If you prepared a 2019 tax return with information for another tax year, you will want to amend your 2019 tax return to correct the amount report so that it is accurately reported.

See the attached link for instructions to help you if you do need to amend your return. 

How to amend my return? 

If you were trying to prepare a return for 2018, you can use the following link to download the software to prepare your return. You must use the correct year of the tax program that matches the year you are trying to file your return for.

How to prepare a prior year tax return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dougla60

I'm having the same problem with Turbo tax and my 2018 taxes.  They refunded my payment for the program and electronic filling fee. (Admitting the error on their part)  I have a case number with Intuit Turbo Tax because if I'm charged interest and penalties from the IRS there will be a civil case filed if Turbo Tax doesn't reimburse the fees. I've used this program for at least 10 years but will NEVER use them again.  Because of their "glitch" I still haven't received my economic impact check or my 2019 refund.    I'm so disappointed with Turbo Tax. 

That's interesting...so glad you posted this.  They blamed the error on me and said I must not have completed the process.  They wouldn't even refund the fees! I have the payment receipt so was certain I completed.  I'm in the same boat with my payment and never received costing us $1900!!  I also am going to have penalties plus am finding it impossible to now correct!!  I had to physically mail the 2018 bc it was the only way that I could now file but it's been months and because this year's taxes are taking priority (I called the IRS for help) it may take 5 to 8 more months for the paper 2018 to be processed.  What a mess!

dougla60

I feel your pain.  I spent 3 hours on the phone with the IRS today because they told me to check mid August to see if my 2018 taxes were received.  After being passed around 3 times I was told that they are currently opening taxes mailed in April and it could be several months before my 2018 taxes are opened (resent paper copy in July and did tracking through USPS) I was also told to send a letter with my 2018 taxes requesting to waive penalties and interest but the IRS said they don't waive interest.   This is BS and I hope Turbo Tax steps up and makes this right.  

Castilemichelle
Returning Member

Did you get this resolved yet? I'm having the same problem..

dougla60

No, mine has not been resolved yet.  Waiting on the IRS to respond.  I don't believe they've processed my 2018 taxes yet because my check has not been cashed.  I'm watching for that to clear before I attempt to call the IRS and see where to go with Turbo Tax.  Several people from the IRS told me that they have been made aware of this happening to others who used Turbo Tax to file their 2018 taxes.  I sure hope Turbo Tax is planning and covering the interest if the IRS doesn't waive it.  I wish Turbo Tax would take the opportunity to respond to these comments.  I have made them aware of my situation and that I won't be using Turbo Tax again.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is a public forum, I wonder if the moderators will pass on your message to TT.   however, most likely the only way you're going to get TT to pay your claim if you can produce the e-mail from TT that said accepted. You did get that didn't you? when you click on the submit icon and it isn't immediately rejected you will get two e-mails. the first will say submitted? that means the return should have been transmitted to the IRS. you did get the first e-mail didn't you?  then the IRS computers go to work doing some basic checking like see if a return was already filed using any of the SSN's or ITIN's on your return.  In any event, if the return was successfully submitted you will get a second e-mail that will say rejected or accepted. if rejected you must correct the return to fix the issues. some can not be fixed and require mailing in the return where it becomes your problem if the IRS doesn't' get it not TT's. Other's can be fixed and then you can either resubmit electronically or mail it in.  mailing as before becomes your problem if the IRS doesn't get it.  if resubmitted electronically again you will get an acceptance or rejection e-mail. 

dabukly

We are having the same issue now! We did everything we were supposed to do to file our taxes on the website back in July, and we never received any communication on whether our taxes were actually filed. Our 2019 returns are on our account, as they were entered, but there is no status update. Low and behold the IRS site says they haven't received. This is a total mess. We need help getting this filed ASAP.

@dabukly wrote:

We are having the same issue now! We did everything we were supposed to do to file our taxes on the website back in July, and we never received any communication on whether our taxes were actually filed. Our 2019 returns are on our account, as they were entered, but there is no status update. Low and behold the IRS site says they haven't received. This is a total mess. We need help getting this filed ASAP.

Paying the TurboTax account fees for the online account does not file a tax return.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Check your email spam or junk mail folders for a TurboTax email.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.

What is the status of the federal tax return?  If the status is anything other than Accepted the tax return was not e-filed.  If you did not print and mail the federal tax return then the return was never filed.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

rgg209

TURBO TAX SCREWED UP MY 2018 RETURN EVEN THOUGH IT SAID ACCEPTED THE IRS TOLD ME THAT THEY NEVER RECEIVED A TAX RETURN FROM ME FOR 2018. NOW MY STIMULUS PAYMENTS ARENT COMING BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT HAD BEEN FILED!

@rgg209 Check your account for the 2018 return.   Does it say "accepted"  or does it say something else like "rejected", "printed" or "ready to mail?"   If it does not say accepted, it was not e-filed.   

Or....the IRS does make mistakes.....do they say that you did not FILE a 2018 tax return or that you did not pay your 2018 tax due?   Your only proof that you paid your tax would be your own bank or credit card records.  Do you show that you paid?

When did you file the 2018 return?   Was it filed by the filing deadline in 2019 or did you file it late by mail?   

The IRS sent out the first stimulus checks based on 2018 or 2019 returns in order to send them in a hurry, but you can recover the stimulus money by using the recovery rebate credit on your 2020 return.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ceacret90

I had the exact same problem for my 2017 taxes and didn't find out until just the other day. 

I got a letter from the IRS saying I had a credit on my account from my 2017 taxes so I called them and they said that they just needed me to resend my tax return along with a copy of notice and they will then contact me to apply the credit to another year if I chose. I logged into my turbo tax and never saw anything about them being rejected and printed out my docs and mailed them in sometime in September 2020. The all of a sudden, I logged in to pay for my 2020 taxes and I am being charged late fees and on this itemized account form it states that I filed my taxes IN September of 2020 for 2017. I am so upset and confused. I searched all my emails and the last email I got from Turbo tax for that year was that my returns were pending and when we logged in to make the payment on the IRS website in 2018 for 2017 - it showed that we owed the amount that turbotax showed so we had assumed that our taxes were sent and accepted. I logged into my turbo tax and out of the blue it says "rejected" for fed and state (but my state AZ paid us our refund and they haven't sent us anything stating we never filed.) I don't know where to begin or what to do.

@ceacret90 Contact TurboTax support for assistance with this issue.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Jacq1

I filed my 2020 returns and saved copies to my computer but neither the Federal or State show my filing.  I went to the state office and the rep made copies and will mail the return.  I can not reach the federal office by any of the phone numbers to schedule an appointment to be seen.  What can I do to avoid penalities?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies