Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You can amend e-filed returns if they've been accepted and paper-filed returns may be amended after they've been mailed. In both situations, wait until after you have received your refund to amend.

Select from the following tax years for specific amending instructions: 

Once you begin the amendment process you will see your original return. Please make changes to only those areas of your return that need amending.  The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund (or tax due based on the amendment.)

Keep in mind: You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.

If there is tax due, you can arrange for payment when you e-file the return, or send a check in with the Amendment if you sent a paper return. If there’s a refund due to you, the IRS will send you a check once the Amendment has been processed.

Note: the IRS can take more than four months to process the Amendment.

If your original return e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Note: For the 2020 tax year, the IRS will adjust your refund if you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit but didn’t qualify or overestimated the amount you should have received.  

If a correction is needed, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to the tax return and continue processing it. There is no need at this point to amend your return, unless you did not claim the Rebate Recovery Credit at all, and were entitled to claim it.  For more information, visit irs.gov. 

The IRS has asked that taxpayers not amend for the unemployment exclusion, unless the unemployment tax break makes them newly eligible for tax benefits like the earned income tax credit.

If you already filed your 2020 tax return, you do not need to do anything to get these additional unemployment benefits. The IRS announced they will automatically adjust your return and send any additional refund amount directly to you. 

Some people may be newly eligible for additional deductions and credits not already included on the original tax return. In these cases, you will likely want to amend your return to claim these additional dollars. 

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings