turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sjasmall
Returning Member

Rejected E-File for Federal

My Federal was rejected and I received this message:  IND-031-04: The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS record.

In 2019, I filed as surviving spouse (husband died 4/15/2019) and this year, 2020, I am filing single.  The AGI is correct for 2019 and I am using the PIN which was used last year.  2019 E-File was rejected last year as well so I had to print and mail the 2019 return.  How can I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

For more information about rejection code IND-031-04, please click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
WEST5
Returning Member

The AGI is correct for 2019 and I am using the PIN which was used last year but when I tried to e file my 2020 return it was rejected several times. My return was filed in 2019 by someone on my behalf not sure if that is what is causing the problem? How do I fix this issue?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

To locate your corrected AGI, click here:   Find your AGI  

If you have verified your AGI is correct and got rejected,  I will suggest you to print out your tax forms and paper file to the IRS.  To see explanations, click here:

Correct AGI got rejected

@WEST5

Try entering 0 for the AGI.

When did you file 2019? If it was late in the year or you mailed it, try putting in 0 (zero) for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

For AGI Reject code 031
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

sixmutts

efile rejected because agi did not match

checked file and the agi does match but resubmit was still rejected

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I will suggest you to print out your tax forms and paper file to the IRS.  To see explanations, click here:

Correct AGI got rejected

misc7

I filed my 2020 taxes with Turbo-tax and the file was rejected apparently for a mis-matched AGI.

I cannot get  print out of my 2020 tax return and I have no tax papers that I used to file with. I would really appreciate any suggestions to help me get this mess resolved.

Thanks, Dave

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Usually inputting 0 as your AGI if you did not file a prior year's tax return will work. If your tax return is constantly getting rejected due to your AGI, you will need to print and mail your tax return. You can follow the directions in this TurboTax FAQ to do so.

@misc7

@misc7   Do you still need to file 2020?   How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2021 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2021.

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

Then to efile 2021 try entering 0 for the AGI since 2020 was not filed in time.  

tframe2000
Returning Member

Rejected because AGI is wrong. Problem is. == AGI is correct.  I have erased and rewritten several times.  Still rejected for that reason

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

Did you try inputting zero? the following FAQ provides further details: AGI rejects @tframe2000.

I set up an automatic withdrawal from my credit union for Monday 4/18/2022, but my filing was rejected due to an incorrect AGI from the previous year. I have submitted a paper form, but do I also have to send a check, or will the automatic withdrawal still go through?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The direct debit option is not available when you file by mail. You will either need to mail your payment or pay on the IRS Direct Pay website. For more information, please see the below help article.

Can I use direct debit to pay the IRS even though I'm not e-filing?

@bettyzielinski

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies