If the 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) you entered for yourself (or your spouse, if filing jointly) doesn't match what's in the IRS database, you'll get these rejections:
- IND-031-04: The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records
- IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
Follow these steps to fix your return:
- In TurboTax, select Fix my return
- On the Let's fix your returns and then refile screen, select Fix it now or Revisit
- You'll have the option to select how you want to proceed with the error
- You can select File by mail instead to print your return as-is and mail it to the IRS. You won’t have to deal with AGI issues and can skip the rest of these instructions
- You can correct your AGI by entering the AGI from your originally-filed 2019 return. Select Continue e-filing to resubmit your return
- If you didn't file last year, enter 0
- If you only filed a return for a stimulus payment in 2019 using TurboTax Stimulus Registration or the IRS Non Filers: Enter Payment Info, enter 1
- If you don't have a copy of last year's return, order a tax return transcript and look for the line ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME
- Don't pull your AGI from your W-2. The same goes for 1099 forms
- Don't use the AGI from your amended 2019 return. Always get it from the first return you filed, even if that AGI was technically incorrect (for example, if you forgot a W-2)
- See Other situations below for more guidance
- The next screen will ask you to confirm your AGI. If it's correct, select This is my 2019 AGI
- Follow the instructions to finish and refile your return. If your state got rejected, we'll help you refile that, too
- How do I fix a rejected return?
- TurboTax Online steps for e-file reject IND-031-04 or IND-032-04: The AGI or self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
- What if I e-filed before May 17, but my return got rejected after the deadline?
- What if I entered the correct AGI and I'm still getting an e-file reject?
- How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?