Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Update not working

Updates do not happen daily especially over a weekend... try again on Monday. 

JoeCB

Update not working

Over a month later and still no answer?? I've been having the same problem and getting sent to the ends of the earth to 'try this' - all to no avail! What's going on TT?

Update not working

@JoeCB wrote:

Over a month later and still no answer?? I've been having the same problem and getting sent to the ends of the earth to 'try this' - all to no avail! What's going on TT?

Did you try this? -

Close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax desktop icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box Run this program as administrator

Click on Apply and then on OK

Start the TurboTax program

Update not working

@JoeCB 

Try the Manual Update (Windows systems only)...download and install it separately.  (TTX must be shut down first )

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

And then if it's still a problem, call Customer Support:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JoeCB

Update not working

Thanks to Sunflare98, Thor88 et al for tracking this solution down and follow up postings. Finally back in business. Thanks again.

Update not working

"the fact that I had to search just to find a work around for a product that doesn't function right out of the box is absurd. "

^^^ yup. I NEVER had these issues in past years, always installed Turbotax the same way, same admin account, and TTax always ran flawless. This is something new this year and it was annoying and a time waster.

Update not working

I tried the manual update, it did nothing to solve the problem. Only by telling Windows 10 to run TTax in Admin mode did TTax finally work (do updates).

Update not working

Yep...the Manual update only works in certain situations.  I only proposed it because @JoeCB  "should have" already tried the earlier directions "Run as Administrator" before his initial post .  Apparently not.

The "Run as Administrator" procedure posted by you,  and meticulously detailed by myself above on 17 Dec, and by @DoninGA  an hour ago are also common "fixes" .   It is impossible for folks in a forum like this to know each person's exact setup....so several fixes are sometimes proposed...and when none of them works, we'll end up directing you to call TTX Customer Support.   

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Update not working

The "run as Administrator" worked for me, thank you for posting!

Also note that if the install is "stuck" because the installer is already running, open Task Manager, go to the Details tab, find "msiexec.exe" and click End Task.

It appears to me to that this is a bug that Intuit should address, since I am running TurboTax 2018 on the same computer with the same account and it updated without any problem.  At a minimum, if the install is going to fail due to not running as an Admin, it should provide a clear error message and not just fail without an explanation.

Update not working

Spent 2 hours on the phone with one of their "expert" this morning. Tried all these things multiple times to no avail. I, too am close to uninstalling TT, asking for a refund, canceling my subscription and going with some other product.

Update not working

someone else posted that their fire wall was stopping the updates ... try turning it off while you download them.

Update not working

I have been using TurboTax since 2002 and enjoyed using it but for the last three years at least it has become

too much of a hassle to use. I should not have to pay for something and have this hard a time trying to get the updates. Unless I get some quick results this will be my last year and I can not recommend it to any one. 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Update not working

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on troubleshooting. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-turbotax-for-windows-updating-is...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Update not working

I'm having the same issues and nothing mentioned helps.

Update not working

ROGER THAT!!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies