Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Education
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
or Ask a Question
I do not recall how I go thru this last year and the software has not improved...it confusing. Simple, common situation. Daughter in college. Received 1098T. Box 1 Payments received for qualified expenses is $40K. Box 5 - Scholarships/grant is $22K. ... read more
confusedrf ‎Posted 2 weeks ago | Latest post 4m ago by NCperson
Hi, I got married February 3rd, 2020, but I filed my taxes in January, so I filed single. I did not work and I only filed my 1098-T. I was qualified to receive some money back. However, I changed my last name with the SSA on the 13th. My refund is st... read more
BrittanyDN ‎Posted 6 hours ago | Latest post 8m ago by Carl
I was a full-time student from January - April 2016 and graduated. The question said that you had to be enrolled for 5 or more months to be considered a student. How should I fill out this part?
s_kim93 ‎Posted May 31, 2019 | Latest post 14m ago by Hal_Al
It is already entered, but is incorrect.  How Do I correct it?
ebethrose ‎Posted a month ago | Latest post 19m ago by DavidS127
I'm filling out my son's tax return. He's a senior in college, still a dependent on my return, but he's got some earned income from a summer job, and a relatively small amount of dividend and capital gains income from an E-Trade account. His income i... read more
Feldgrep ‎Posted 4 hours ago | Latest post 25m ago by SusanY1
I attended my last class in winter quarter of 2019. My school refuses to issue a 1098-t because they say that the amount that I paid for that class was already included in box 1 of my 2018 1098-t. I was billed for the class in 2018, but I did not pay... read more
cheesea666 ‎Posted yesterday | Latest post 2 hours ago by Carl
Any updates on this problem? "Other Income Statement: Qualified tuition program distributions - Spouse - You can't file just yet due to a recent law passed by congress. This means a better outcome for taxpayers like you who have taxable QTP distribut... read more
carsc ‎Posted Friday | Latest post 4 hours ago by carsc
We received an American Opportunity Credit for our daughter in college, but not our son. I think the reason may be that he went on a payment plan because he is trying to pay for school w/o a loan. His 2019 tuition was 15039 (that's not the full year ... read more
hsvegmama ‎Posted Monday | Latest post 4 hours ago by NCperson
Is this a bug in TurboTax when it is figuring out "adjusted qualified education expenses" for 529? My son is a full-time college student. He has the following expenses for 2019: (1) tuition $19,560, (2) books and supplies $1,001, (3) room and board $... read more
CL4504 ‎Posted yesterday | Latest post 7 hours ago by NCperson
If dependent went to college just in the spring semester - which includes parts of January through May can he/she be claimed as a full-time student and a dependent (they are 23) since they would have been in school for parts of 5 months?
MH111 ‎Posted Tuesday | Latest post 7 hours ago by MH111
If your dependent child is attending a college overseas in the Dominican Republic and you're covering the whole costs (no federal loans and no tax forms would be provided because the child is attending as a Dominican citizen)....is there any way to c... read more
vpujols ‎Posted Tuesday | Latest post yesterday by Carl
Not sure if this is the right area, but I have a question about which educational credit to take. Turbo recommends American Opportunity Credit but as you can see the amount for tuition deduction looks like more (and is up to 4000). Is this not a dedu... read more
greencode96 ‎Posted yesterday | Latest post yesterday by Carl
So I first added the 1098T and 1099Q information on my child's tax return but since they are a dependent turbo tax said to enter the data on my return. After entering the data on my return, turbo tax said that $XXX needed to be reported as taxable in... read more
jwcarosi ‎Posted yesterday | Latest post yesterday by Carl
Top Contributors