turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caenvu

TurboTax Deluxe under MacOS BigSur on MacBook Air (Apple M1 chip). TurboTax app doesn't open/run at all when double clicking on the app icon. Anyone with same problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

61 Replies

TurboTax Deluxe under MacOS BigSur on MacBook Air (Apple M1 chip). TurboTax app doesn't open/run at all when double clicking on the app icon. Anyone with same problem?

Yes I had exactly same problem; got a full refund from Amazon

I have used Turbotax for years on my Mac; upgraded OS.I 'm screwed

Bought a windows based system now so I can use turbo tax

I have phone, iPad and Mac.One would think Apple would warn their loyal customers of the issue

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for the feedback. We are aware of this experience and are working on a resolution for it. Program "issues" this time of year are very common.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there an expected timeframe to solve this problem?  Or should I find another solution?  

I bought a new computer specifically because last year Intuit told me I would not be able to use my old MacBook for this year’s taxes.

Regads,

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Desktop does work on Mac OS Big Sur, however, because everyone's computer is different, it may not work without performing some additional troubleshooting steps.

Please use the troubleshooting steps found in these TurboTax FAQs:

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac download issues

TurboTax for Mac installation troubleshooter

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

Another solution is to create a new user on your MAC and use the TurboTax Desktop Software under the new user account.

If all else fails, Please contact us by phone, using this TurboTax FAQ, What is the TurboTax phone number?

Does TurboTax work with a Mini Mac using a M1 chip? Does it have to have an intel processor?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

You can click here to see the TurboTax system requirements. 

hman36
Returning Member

I have Turbox Tax Deluxe for mac installed on Big Sur. My device is 2015 MBP Retina Display. It seems to be working fine except there are some items that look blurry or not scaled correctly. Essentially it looks like a cheap free program except I actually paid for this. Also all of the radio buttons have a blue outline around the first choice in every step, making it look cheap yet again. Big Sur was released in November and has been open to developers many months before that. Did TurboTax not think it would be a good idea to maybe have compatibility with this, given people only use your product during tax season, with the fact that so many people upgrade their macs on the public release date? I would expect TurboTax to do better than this. I hope an update will be coming out soon.

It did work until Big Sur was recently updated to 11.2 on my MacBook Pro M1.  It now bounces, flashes something on the screen for a fraction of a second and then crashes.  I tried TT2019 and TT2018 that I still had, and same behavior, so I think it is a permissions thing with the software.  I hope Intuit and Apple will work it out soon.

@hman36wrote "Also all of the radio buttons have a blue outline around the first choice in every step, making it look cheap yet again."

Not only that, but I'm getting errors where in some cases it is treated it as if I select the first radio button even when I do not.

For example when entering income from a 1099, it asks which spouse it applies to:
*Spouse A

*Spouse B

I choose Spouse B. Then on the following screen it is clear that it thinks I selected Spouse A. Have tried this over and over with same results.

Similar thing is going on with other radio button options.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@anonymousmrp

UPDATE:  I went through the detailed process of deleting all of the associated files in the library, and then downloaded and reinstalled again, and it is back up and working.  I don't know why it quit, but I'm OK now.

I'm having the same issue, but on a iMac desktop (Retina 5K, 2019) with an Intel Core i5 chip.  My Turbo Tax stopped working when I updated to 11.2.1

I just tried the steps listed un "Remove and reinstall Turbo Tax for Mac" (deleting a series of folders and files in the Library) and unfortunately Turbo Tax still does not open.  The following message flashes by "Please wait while we verify everything is up to date."  The toolbar across the top of the screen does not change to the Turbo Tax toolbar. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure your software is up to date. Try this troubleshooting updates for MAC FAQ.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies