turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax Deluxe under MacOS BigSur on MacBook Air (Apple M1 chip). TurboTax app doesn't open/run at all when double clicking on the app icon. Anyone with same problem?

If you need additional assistance, please see the information here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
2Taber

TurboTax Deluxe under MacOS BigSur on MacBook Air (Apple M1 chip). TurboTax app doesn't open/run at all when double clicking on the app icon. Anyone with same problem?

If it makes a difference have no error messages. It flashes the screen "checking for updates" and then crashes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Using MacBook Air early 2014 with Intel Core i5. Worked fine for two months then on Jan 29, 2022 it crashed after an update. Home & Business CD 2021.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@2Taber

Please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here for more assistance.  

@2Taber wrote:

If it makes a difference have no error messages. It flashes the screen "checking for updates" and then crashes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Using MacBook Air early 2014 with Intel Core i5. Worked fine for two months then on Jan 29, 2022 it crashed after an update. Home & Business CD 2021.

When you uninstall simply removing the application will not do it.   There are numerous other support files that must be removed.   Here is the procedure.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

On Apple's forum, I found a fix that works on our M1 MacBookPro.

• In the Finder, select Go Go To Folder. Enter ~/Library and select Go.

Then delete this folder:

~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

Hope this works for you.  Turbo's own techs don't know about this.  In fact, they didn't know there are M1 MacBooks AND they said to delete you need only drag the app to the trash because there are NO other folders or files!  Weak support.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@2Taber

We wanted to make sure you had this Help Article's information here to uninstall and reinstall for Mac.  Also, if that doesn't assist you, you can always reach out directly to us following the steps here.  

Thank you so much.  This worked for me. 

Hh4
Level 2

exactly my problem too

@Zachbrell45 Your solicitation has been reported to the moderators.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am devastated!  Bummer on the part of TT for disenfranchising us Apple customers.  I too have done my taxes on TT for 20. years or more.   Apple and TT should work together on this.

I did use TT on my macbookpro laptop with Apple M1 chip or 2020 and 2021 without any problem.  And all the other aspects are up. to snuff.  Ack!  I will try again.

Please advise when the issues of opening TT on Mac will be resolved.  I need to file my tax return and do not want to start all over again.

thanks

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax on Mac should currently open. Are you still having trouble opening the software? @lifrey 

No still crashes after screen saying TT is up to date. 

Hh4
Level 2

I got my taxes done by ignoring the error message. I have checked send error to TT automatically. I don’t think it does. I did not check send error report because I think in the prior 2 years when I did that it would not open at all afterwards so I ignore it.

I’m sure the bug is still there. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies