Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I remove Premium Service Benefits from my purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
nyinyeb

The service to pay with your refund is a free option that comes with the Premium Services bundle (available in CA), which also includes Tax Identity Restoration and Audit Defense.

If you really want to remove these benefits, you can choose to pay with your credit card.  

Here’s how to delete Premium Services from your purchase:
  1. Sign in to your return, then click File in the upper right corner.
  2. Click Start next to Step 1 - Review your order.
         -If you don't see this, click Revisit next to You've chosen to deduct your TurboTax fees
  3. When you get to your order summary, click Remove underneath Premium Services benefits.
  4. On the next screen, click Remove benefits
  5. Make sure to select Pay with credit card when we ask how you want to pay.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
nyinyeb

The service to pay with your refund is a free option that comes with the Premium Services bundle (available in CA), which also includes Tax Identity Restoration and Audit Defense.

If you really want to remove these benefits, you can choose to pay with your credit card.  

Here’s how to delete Premium Services from your purchase:
  1. Sign in to your return, then click File in the upper right corner.
  2. Click Start next to Step 1 - Review your order.
         -If you don't see this, click Revisit next to You've chosen to deduct your TurboTax fees
  3. When you get to your order summary, click Remove underneath Premium Services benefits.
  4. On the next screen, click Remove benefits
  5. Make sure to select Pay with credit card when we ask how you want to pay.

I do not want Premier services. 

But when I follow the steps to remove them, the option to remove them are not there.

I NEVER selected to use premier services. It automatically began asking me questions. I figured I could go back and change it -- but I could not figure out how. 

When I go to "Review your order" and click "start" I see that I have been pre-selected to use PREMIER, and it gives me an option to upgrade to DELUX. I don't want either. But there is to option to remove either. The only buttons I can interact with (on either my computer or my phone) are: 100% refund guaranteed, Add MAX, < Back, I have a service code, and View Payment Options. There is no option to REMOVE Premier. When I click on View payment options there STILL isn't an option to remove premier. Just Pay with Credit Card and Pay with Federal Refund. 

@matthewzak311 wrote:

I do not want Premier services. 

But when I follow the steps to remove them, the option to remove them are not there.

I NEVER selected to use premier services. It automatically began asking me questions. I figured I could go back and change it -- but I could not figure out how. 

When I go to "Review your order" and click "start" I see that I have been pre-selected to use PREMIER, and it gives me an option to upgrade to DELUX. I don't want either. But there is to option to remove either. The only buttons I can interact with (on either my computer or my phone) are: 100% refund guaranteed, Add MAX, < Back, I have a service code, and View Payment Options. There is no option to REMOVE Premier. When I click on View payment options there STILL isn't an option to remove premier. Just Pay with Credit Card and Pay with Federal Refund. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/01/26051

The TurboTax Free online edition is for very simple tax returns that do not require any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If your tax data requires entry on any other form or schedule then you must upgrade to the Deluxe edition or higher.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

OR - 

You can use the TurboTax Free File Program - https://freefile.intuit.com/

IRS Free File Program - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/
If you are eligible you can use the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $39,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2020 AGI of $72,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Program and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-pr...
And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

aherweck

Turbotax should notify that there is a $44 dollar charge to pay with your refund. (Since it upgrades you automatically to premium service). I have used turbotax for 6 years, and the past two years it offers the option to pay with your refund, AND doesn't state or inform customer of the extra charge. This is intentional and unethical. You have lost a yearly customer because of the shady tactics you employ. Also, spoke with a representative and he couldn't even identify why I was being charged the premium service fee. Turbotax has the technology to make a better effort to inform customers when they are being charged and why. This is deceptive business practice and personally I won't be using Turbotax for this reason. Waste of time and money. And the customer still holds all the liability. 

Are you in California? If you want to have the fees deducted from your federal refund there is an EXTRA 40 Pay with Refund service charge (45 in California) or you can avoid the fee by paying upfront with a credit card.

What is Premium Services?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-premium-services-bundle/00/255...

Yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous. I'm experiencing this right now and had been messaging with customer service for an hour, and just now they told me my only option is to wipe everything and completely start over after spending two hours from start to finish. It was NOT explicitly stated that paying the TurboTax fees with your refund would ADD $44 dollars to those fees, and now I can't remove it without wiping everything I've done? I already tried going back in and changing my payment preference to using my credit card, I ALREADY PAID and got a receipt that I paid for TurboTax fees with my card, and now I have to wipe and start over? I'm done. Shame on you Turbo Tax, way to lose a dedicated customer over such deceptive BS.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you have paid using your credit card, you would need to contact us by phone in order to receive a refund of any fees. We are unable to view your account to assist with any refunds here in this public forum. @sarahgoldstein96

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@sarahgoldstein96  You do not have to start over.  And anyway if you already paid it won't let you clear and start over.  Are you using the Online version or the Desktop program? You could have removed Premium services before you paid.

In the California Desktop program to remove Audit Defense and Premium Services you have to change to pay the $20 or 25 state efile fee by credit card and not by having it deducted from your federal refund.  Or print and mail state for free.  Go back through the File tab again and change to pay with a credit card.  Then if Audit Defense is still there you can remove it.

In the Online version,  If you are in California you need to remove the Premium Service first then pay with a credit card

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-premium-services/00/26266

What is Premium Service?

What is Premium Services?

If you are in California you need to remove the Premium Service first

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-premium-services/00/26266

Calestorm
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl  Except....that doesn't work. At least not for me. The moment I click Remove under Premium Services Benefits I am met with a white screen with no loading or any prompt. I have tried with 5-6 different browsers with the same results.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For one-on-one assistance with this experience, please visit the link below for help from Customer Support. @Calestorm

How do I contact TurboTax?

grishick

The option to remove premium services does not work. Is this an intentional "bug"? This is so shady!!!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you want to remove Premium Services, you need to do so before:

• Completing your order and
  • Using any of the features (though you won’t have to clear and start over)

For more details on how to remove these services, please see the Help Article here.

@grishick

I click through to "remove" and the page just reloads back with the charge there.  I am losing my mind with this.  I want to remove that service as I did not know it would be $44 to pay the $59 and $49 fees from refund.  I cannot delete it even through performing every step as directed by intuit and the community for removing the Premium Services add on.  Frustrating.

SAME!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies