Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Turbotax Deluxe reports error code 190 so I can't complete or file my returns, which are saved if someone from Turbo Tax can get past the error code and file for me.

I have tried to complete and file since March, and worked with an online agent for hours but who could not help me. I followed the error fix recommendation for code 190, even paying for another MA download, but it doesn't work and tomorrow is July 1st. I have saved my return so would ask if someone from Turbotax can get past the error code and complete and file my returns for me?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

My Turbotax Deluxe reports error code 190 so I can't complete or file my returns, which are saved if someone from Turbo Tax can get past the error code and file for me.

Are you using the TurboTax CD/Download version?

If so, this may help.

Error 190 when opening file in TurboTax CD/Download

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Are you using the TurboTax CD/Download version?

If so, this may help.

Error 190 when opening file in TurboTax CD/Download

If your .tax2019 File has any state returns in it you need to first download the state program.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See error 190

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot...

Here is a link about State looping

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

I've dealt with another Turbo Tax Expert who had me save my federal and MA tax forms so I could mail them in. My wife and I can sign the federal return but the MA state return does not have a signature page. Can someone look at my returns and figure out how I can file both electronically? MA was included in my Deluxe version and I paid to submit same but that's when the 190 error code started coming up. I have since paid to download state again (in accordance with the posted "fix") but that doesn't work and I can't get beyond the 190 error code. Please help if you think you can!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Are you trying to e-file from TurboTax Online?   If you have not mailed the return, you can change from File by Mail to E-file and then you should be able to e-file both federal and state.  You can't e-file the state return unless you also e-file the federal return.   

If you printed your taxes to mail them in and went all the way through the File section, when you sign in to TurboTax Online, the Way to go! You filed your 2019 taxes you won't see a way to change to e-filing. As long as you haven't already mailed your 2019 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2020). However, some states now require e-filing, which means the federal and state must be e-filed together.

If you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2019, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.
MotoFred
Returning Member

The fix which suggests opening a new return, selecting the state tab, and downloading your one free state return, does not work.  I am still being asked to purchase my only state.  

What version did you buy?  Basic does not have a free state.  And if you bought Deluxe in a store it comes 2 ways.  Deluxe with a free state program download and Deluxe without state for states that dont have an income tax.  The package or invoice should say Fed+Efile+State.

MotoFred
Returning Member

I bought it from Staples and it is the Deluxe with the one free state return.  I already used it successfully and created my Federal and one state return.  I have not yet filed because I wanted to review my printed copies first.  Now every time I reopen my federal return and go to my state return I get the Error 190 and am asked to purchase my state return.  

That is very weird.  Never heard of it doing that.  First let's make sure your program is updated.  

How to update

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-update-turbotax-cd-download/00/26038

Troubleshooting update issues on Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/troubleshoot-turbotax-for-windows-updating-is...

If your program says it's up to date or you can't update it then do the Manual Update.  This has also fixed the State forms not available problem for some users.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

Are you sure your tax return doesn't have any other states on it?  Here is the FAQ for error 190 but it doesn't say much

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-190-when-opening-file-in-turbot... 

If nothing helps you will have to call in.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Emmaed42

I have an account. did my taxes last year. Inserted cd. Downloaded All In want to do is enter code and start taxes

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Per @CassLO

Return to the install screen and enter the code to continue.You can copy/paste the code into the entry fields.

You can also find additional information and download help in the links below:

Activating TurboTax CD/Download software

My code doesn't work

I can’t find my license code

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies