If you're using the TurboTax CD/Download, you may experience an issue where your state is already downloaded but not showing as installed. When you try to download your state, you get a message that Your software is up to date with the state product never installing and you're caught in a loop. You could also be prompted to update prior to e-filing and getting a message that says You're up to date.
To resolve, close TurboTax and then:
- Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your Desktop or other easy-to-find location.
- Double-click to open the zip folder.
- Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
- Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
- Select your version (Personal or Business).
- Select your state from the drop-down menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose Remove all States).
- Once the tool finishes removing the state return(s), close it and reopen TurboTax.
- Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt. It should start downloading your state.
- If it doesn't, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.
If this fix fails:
- Uninstall TurboTax.
- Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process with the following steps:
- Select Next on the welcome screen.
- Select I Agree on the License Agreement.
- On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed. Normally, it's something like C:Program Files (x86)TurboTaxDeluxe 20XX.
- Select Install after changing the location.
- Open TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.
If the above steps don't resolve this issue, restart your computer in Selective Startup and run the tool again.