Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

homebrin2

Where does turbotax keep my data on the hard drive - what folder? I don't just mean the PDF tax file output.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

Where does turbotax keep my data on the hard drive - what folder? I don't just mean the PDF tax file output.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions, any tax data files or saved PDF's are normally stored in Documents and in the TurboTax folder.

I question whether this is true.  It was true for years 2017 and earlier, when the extensions of these files were either .tax2017 or, going back even further, simply .tax.  But I can't find .tax2018 or .tax2019 files, even though I can open them in TurboTax (!).  To me it makes no sense.  This is how I happened upon this:

I sometimes want to create dummy returns, to see what might happen if input were different.  To do this I open up the "real" return and then immediately do a "save as" to a different name.  I can see these multiple files in my Documents/Turbotax folder for years prior to 2018.  Today I created a dummy file using this method, but I then decided I wanted to delete this dummy file.  As far as I can tell you can't delete a file from within Turbotax, so I went to the directory of the C drive to find the data file, where I planned to delete it, and I find that there are NO .tax2019 or .tax2018 files anywhere to be found.  (I did a global search.)  Can anyone explain what changed in 2018 and where this data is being saved?  I know that the file name which appears at the top of the screen in Turbotax shows a .tax2018 or .tax2019 extension but the file can't be found.  By the way, I've set my options to show hidden files, so that's not the problem.

Red Baron
Returning Member

To:  TominSacramento:

I do the same "what if" tax scenarios that you do.  Like you, I could not open my 2019 tax file using the CD/Download software.  After further searching the internet, I found no solution.  Upon further thought I checked my backup flash drive that I use to maintain a backup separate from my laptop.  I found the file on the flash drive.  I had moved it there from My Documents folder.  I don't know if this will help you, but was intrigued by your situation as I had the same issue.

If you moved (not copied) the files from the hard drive to a removable storage medium then that is where they are so if you want to open them you must MOVE them back to the hard drive so the program can find them.  Pay attention to where you move them ... personally I just pop them on the desktop.  

Red Baron
Returning Member

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I had a senior moment and had forgotten where I had moved the file.  I did not have to move it back as TurboTax has a Find File option which allowed me to let TT retrieve the file from my flash drive.  I do not have a password on my laptop and prefer not to leave some files on the PC.

I am unable to find my federal tax form for 2020.

How to access prior online returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270...

You have to log in to the same account.   You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2021 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2021.

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

You can also request a transcript from the IRS

Get Transcript | Internal Revenue Service

Nope.  It installed under thispc/acer(c:)/programfiles/turbotax.

When I save file, it goes to places unknown, for windows 11.  Cannot save as to installed directory, says must be administrator.  Huh?  It's my computer, I am the administrator AFAIK.

I have NO clue where the 2023 tax files are located.  Is it maybe idiotic W11 and it's default to the ridiculous One Drive?  I want to back up to a USB thumb drive but have no clue where the files are saved.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Refer to the TurboTax Help articles Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows downloading issues and Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows to see if there are any helpful actions you haven’t tried yet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Useless links.  I have no problem downloading or installing, nor even using Turbotax.  Just saving files and finding where they went.  The Turbotax program does not have a problem finding it.  I am unable to back up the file to a USB thumbdrive because I cannot find the file.

@johnpacker3420 The TurboTax program stores all tax data files and saved PDF's, by default, in the TurboTax folder within the Document directory.  Unless the location is changed by the user.

I didn't change the location.  I just installed it.  Yeah yeah.  Insist I changed it and typed in the long path to the program files directory.  I did not.  I installed it from the CD on a W11 computer.

No, I did not insist you changed it.  That was only a comment.

Do you have a TurboTax folder in your Documents directory?  If so, are there any saved tax data files in the folder?  A tax data file will have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2023 for tax year 2023.

Apologies.  So often on these help sites people refuse to believe what I am saying and insist I did it wrong or did something I did not do.

There are multiple document directories, and some turbotax directories, all empty.  Where turbotax was installed, under programs directory, there are no 2023 tax files.

This was for a friend on her new W11 computer.  I installed on my W10 computers and everything is good, installed under thispc/documents/turbotax like always, with online download, not the CD.  I actually disabled OneDrive on my W10 computer.  I do my own back up on multiple devices.  She does not want me to disable OneDrive.

I really think my problem is W11 coupled with OneDrive.  I've considered removing and re-installing, but have no way to back up the tax files I just finished.  At least not yet, I can probably find some solution when I calm own an put away the sledge hammer begging to destroy W11.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies