Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

IRS pulled my payment twice

Well the 1040ES have the tax year 2020 at the top.  Be sure to manually enter them on your return next year to get credit for them.  So keep track of the payments and dates.

The Turbotax program tries to educate you as you go ... in the estimated payment section and again later on the filing instruction pages ... Save a PDF of the return to see them ...  

Please read the filing instruction pages for the fed/state returns ... there you will see the payment voucher and estimated payment instructions ... the estimated payments clearly say to not mail them ... here is a screen shot from the 2018 program ...

1....jpg

2....jpg

ftirs

I’m having a similar issue but I don’t know if it’s the same.

I was charged twice by the IRS as well, like many of the people here. I haven’t successfully been able to reach anyone at the IRS as their phone lines are “too busy” and I’ve tried many many times..

when I finished filing my taxes on TurboTax, I went to IRS.gov to make the payment.

My bank statement shows that I was charged once in July 16th and again on July 17th for the same amount.

I did estimated payments for my last filing but did not want to do them for 2020, so they should not have charged me twice. 

Do you know why I was charged twice?

and how am I to get my money back if the IRS keeps ending my calls? I’m in desperate need. Please help. Thank you.

Onie

This happened to us as well, has anyone recovered their money? We talked to an IRS agent but were told that we had to talk to our financial institution. I don't understand why if the IRS is the one the made the mistake. We filed a dispute with our bank but meanwhile, we are out of over $1000. Was this a glitch from Turbo Tax? I don't recall giving my them permission to withdraw our money from our account, especially since we were going to pay it in a lump sum from our savings account.

Hi @ftirs,

Your situation sounds identical to mine. It took me three days of trying, but I finally made it into the hold list w/o being hung up on by using the number posted earlier in this thread (the prompts were slightly different than listed, but roughly the same). I called at 9:00am PST if that helps, but it was probably just luck of the draw. Nonetheless, the answer I received was the same, once my return is fully processed they will see the over-payment and immediately refund it. So, the good/bad news is that even if you don't get through, the process and timing will likely be the same to get your money back. The IRS agent was able to login to my account using my SSN and she could see that when I sent in my tax return using Turbo Tax there was a payment scheduled then. I didn't remember that or understand that somehow the payment was already scheduled through the filing process, so I too went onto the IRS website and scheduled the payment. Hence, the double payment coming out. **Turbo Tax, if you're listening, please dummy-proof this for next year with lots of bells/whistles/red flags so we can't forget or not realize we're scheduling a payment - maybe even send us reminder emails that it's already scheduled?**  She was also able to tell me that my return was "in process" so hopefully it finishes soon and they kick back the double payment. She said they have not been allowed to give out time frames for how long to expect things to take to process, at least not until after July 31st. Usually she said it takes just a few days for these things to resolve themselves, but nothing is normal right now. I didn't think to ask how the refund would be issued, hopefully it can be via direct deposit since I'm set up for that. Fingers crossed for everyone that's been effected! 

krsrini

The same thing happened to me once on 6/18/20 and next on 7/1/20. I managed to get on a call with IRS, they said the overpayment may take between 6 to 8 weeks after the filing deadline(7/15/20) 

@krsrini 

I highly recommend you go back into the FILE tab and review the payment screens ... they are quite clear and you had to consent to the debit ... always read the screen carefully whenever you are asked to agree to anything.  Changes can be made anytime until you transmit the return ... so if you had a change of heart prior to filing you needed to stop and back up.    The payment choice you made is also part of the filing instruction page that prints with the return or is viewed in the PDF file. 

Failure of the user to read the screens is not a shortfall of the TT DIY program. 

Log in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to unlock the account then click on the FILE tab and review your choices and the screen instructions.

pay balance due options.jpgpay balance due direct debit consent.jpgpay balance due direct debit consent - 2.jpg

pinkglue77
Returning Member

I agree, this same thing happened to me, Turbotax should have sent reminders about the auto-debit, especially this year when many people opted to pay July 15th after filling in April. I also double paid after hearing on the news all the reminders to pay your taxes. 

Well if I owed the IRS I would certainly remember how I choose to pay the balance due ... not sure why you would expect a DIY program to remind you of the payment that  you set up yourself. 

Even I as a tax professional don't call any of my clients to remind them of what I already explained to them when they filed.  At the time of filing   I stressed how/why the payment was to be made along with the paper confirmation of the debit and that is more than I legally  need to do.  

Has anyone else resolved this? 

I mailed them a check in June for the full amount.

Then in January they sent me several threatening emails charging interest and late fees. I called them to verify they never received payment. They said they didn't and threatened me to pay and said I could pay on their website irs.gov.

I put a stop payment on the check guessing at the check number because it had been so long. Paid them online. And two weeks later the original check from June cashed (I got the check number wrong so the bank won't do anything). 

Called them up for them to say is get a refund within 6 weeks and if I didn't to call back. 

Well it's been 10 weeks with no refund and I can't call them cause they've closed every number so it just disconnects.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You can try calling again. Individuals can call the IRS at (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. your local time. If you are able to connect wait times can be very long right now.

Here are some tips when contacting the IRS:

• First choose your language
  • Then do not choose the first choice regarding REFUND, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for personal income tax questions.
  • Then press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.  
  • Then press 3 for all other questions.
  • Then press 2 for all other questions to be transferred to an agent

Please see this TurboTax FAQ on what to have ready before you contact the IRS: What do I need if I call the IRS?

@david-peterson

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FYI, I did get a refund check about a month after the July double payment, so watch your mail. I paid electronically both times but my refund came by paper check. I know your situation is a little different, but just wanted you to know that mine did resolve w/o further contact with the IRS.
eapat318

Good luck trying to call IRS. They open their line at 7 am. I've called three days now at 7 and went through the process you described.  It then tells me their line is too busy and to try again another day. They double charged me which made my checking overdrawn, and I need that money back to pay bills. What other recourse is there?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Here are some additional resources you can try:

1. Contact a local IRS office.  Click this link for contact information:  Contact Your Local IRS Office

2. The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS), which is an independent organization within the IRS. Click this link  Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS)

@eapat318

• This happened to me this year (2021). Its been 3 months now and i still havent been able to get ahold of anyone when i call and i havent seen a return yet. They also pulled money from a bank account they shouldn't of pulled from. If anyone has any information on how to get through the jammed lines so i can speak with someone that would be much appreciated.

This is incredibly frustrating and this could of jeopardize a struggling families living situation during the pandemic.

Sorry for the rant. im just frustrated.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies