If you call the IRS, they will need to verify who you are. Be prepared with:
- Your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Your filing status (Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate)
- Your prior-year tax return (they may ask you questions from it to verify your identity)
- A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
- Any letters they may have sent you
- Paper and pen to take notes—make sure to write down the day you called and the name and ID number of the agent you spoke to, as well as any instructions or deadlines you were given.
Jot down your questions before calling, and be prepared for delays. It may take over an hour to get your call answered as the IRS lines are busy at this time of year.