turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 2210 be updated for 2018?

I have the software downloaded ona Mac and it worked for me

Not the override, but i was able to fill in the justifiction form and it was sent

The justification worksheet, can be found on the 2210 in forms mode...down at line 27  (though that might be the same one as below the "B" line. and you type in  "85% Penalty waiver"   That leaves the 2210 in your tax file, but might allow it to go thru...

1)  Get rid of the 2210 using the interview (I guess the Online folks could try this too).  
Problem is that the interview takes some unpredictable page displays, I can't predict what you see, but here is what I see.
2)....On the "Other Tax Situations" page, start thru the "Underpayment Penalties" interview.
......first Underpayment Penalty page ...YES
..........Filing status for 2017......you enter whatever it was.
..............2017 Tax Liability........you enter a ....zero..... !
..................2017 AGI.......leave it alone and continue
..........................No penalty,  hit the Done button.
3) Switch to Forms Mode. look carefully to See if the 2210 is gone. IF it isn't there, then back to review and e-filing.  If it is still there, open it, then go to the bottom and hit the "Delete Form" button and it should go away.   If it does, then it's off to the review and try e-filing again.
None of these steps will stop the IRS from reducing your refund for a penalty...or sending you a letter l later, with a Penalty bill...if they determine you should-have paid one...but these steps may get you thru filing.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain In EasySteps, it said I didn't owe an underpayment penalty. In fact, I overpaid because I am getting a refund.

I can't evaluate that refund situation for you....one can have a big refund, and still owe a penalty.

Ignoring he current 85% issue, if your withholding (and only the withholding) for 2018 didn't qualify for one of the exception limits.

Then....IF you paid uneven Quarterly estimates....or did not pay all 4 qtr estimates.  One can have a refund and a penalty unless you go thru the Annualized income calculations (when the 2210/2210AI is working right).

But there is a New Containment FAQ (today)...and a Sign-Up...with an expected fix date of sometime on 22 Feb:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4621180">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4621180</a>
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

For the desktop version. this issue now appears to be resolved with today's (Mar 6) update.
jamesd4255201
Returning Member

Also on the disk version for me this latest up-date fixed the problem with form 2210.

When I did annualized, it tells me I don't owe anything. But it still has the checkbox for 85% waiver. Can I get this shut off so I can file electronically? There's no way I want to print and mail these.
mabooth1

1099-er Girl - Put your cursor over the "X" and right click.  It should change color.  Then you can delete it.  

Mabooth1... can you clarify? Do you mean when I'm in FORMS view near part II, A? I'm on a MAC so there's no 'right click", but I've tried hovering with CNTL or option or command and I don't see a color change. But I wasn't 100% sure what you mean. I'd be happy to keep AI in there if I can just get box A to shut off.

And...Is there any way I can go back to it charging me the $8 I originally owed? I had found a place to say let TT calculate instead of wait on IRS, but during and update TT seems to have automatically taken my original penalty away. I'd much rather have it back and be done with it. 🙂
mabooth1

1099-er Girl -
mabooth1

Sorry 1099-er Girl - there should be a way to remove the "X" in the 85% Waiver box in Forms.  I told you how I did it on my form.  Not sure how its done on a MAC.  If you want to go back to the $8 penalty, you can go to Forms and delete the worksheet (Form 2210-AI) where you annualized your income.  May need to delete the 2210 as well.  don't worry, it will repopulate.  

I will say I tried that already earlier. I deleted the AI first, then tried to delete 2210 regular. It put it right back. I re-answered the interview questions and it still auto fills in that 85% box. :( So frustrating. I could have turned these taxes in weeks ago if it weren't for this glitch. I thought the fix by TT that was due to come out today was going to help with this. But I don't even know what they fixed or what i've been waiting for? I have no problem using my AI if needed. But I would rather have paid the $8 and left the AI off as those numbers are a bit of guesswork. But they're close. 🙂 Still.... shutting off that box seems impossible. I've spent hours scouring many people's notes and no one has posted a solution except what you just said.

Manage cookies