turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 2210 be updated for 2018?

I want to report that my issue was resolved. I still do not see the option to choose whether TTax or the IRS calculates the penalty, but by default TTax is selected.

For any other problems, if you are still having a difficulty call Intuit. Dont post here expecting them to address the issue.

While I've been able to resolve my issue, this is what I'm seeing. In an instance where a penalty DOES NOT apply, Part II Box A is still checked (with a red check mark) and the form reports "Not Done".  (This is in Forms mode). The only way I've been able to "uncheck" the box is to override it. Once I do this, I can "uncheck" the box. Then, this resolves the error and I can continue with processing the return.

How do you override the form if you have the desktop version (for MAC)?

This is a known problem. See this TurboTax support FAQ - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4608028-check-this-entry-form-2210-part-ii-box-a-should-not-be-che...>

Thanks!

It appears TT released an update this morning (2/16) which corrected the issue. However, I did notice that in an instance where no penalty exists (since I paid estimated taxes of atleast 100% of prior years taxes) and Part III, line 14 contains a negative value and says do not file Form 2210, it still generates one during the printing process. Easy enough to deal with but seems like an incorrect behavior.
jhudson8

Jeff I have the same problem but my filing was rejected because it included 2210 without an “explanation of waiver” form.  I did not underpay estimated taxes (I overpaid by quite a bit) and still can’t get rid of the x in box A  or remove the form.  Curious if anyone else had their filing rejected for this reason or how you dealt with this.  Maybe I’m doing something wrong.  

In a different instance which met the 85% waiver, I did need to add an explanation. Form 2210 still showed an error until I did this. It seems redundant but it was the only way to make TT happy.

Got the same problem. I opened the firm and added the statement. I refiled...we’ll see. I do ‘t know ehy we have to fill thst firm, since i am getting a refund (i paid estimated taxes every quarter)

It went through with just that statement

Desktop users can force a statement (though it looks like it goes in at the box  "B" Quickzoom in Forms Mode))
......Online folks cannot...if they are getting the same rejection
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
jhudson8

I will give adding the statement a shot.  I didn’t even see the option to fill something in until now.  Thanks for the tip - crossing my fingers.  

@jeff  When you added an explanation, is there something specific you have to say in it, or do you just attach it?

I don't believe so but this applies to the desktop version. In forms mode, on Form 2210, line 27, you can QuickZoom to the Waiver Explanation Statement. I just said "85% Waiver". TT includes this explanation to the end of the return. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the online version.

@jeff  I am also using the desktop version - on my mac. I went to line 27 and did QuickZoom to enter something into Waiver Explanation Statement. I guess I can give that a shot
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies