Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zazzzz

You guys are not sending me my 6 digit code to verify my identity so I can’t complete my tax filing .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You guys are not sending me my 6 digit code to verify my identity so I can’t complete my tax filing .

Please check your junk or spam folder if you are having it sent to your email. 

If after a reasonable amount of time, you still have not received your 6 digit verification code by email and you have checked your spam folder, please see below alternate methods:

1. To get your verification code sent as a text, you have to select that option in your account settings. You will need to gain access to the account and then:
    1.) Click My Account
    2.) Account Settings
    3.) Under the Security tab, select Two Step Verification and enter your mobile information and password. 
    To get access to make your changes, you can have the code sent to your email address or select the Confirm your account in another way option.
  2. If none of the above works, then please select "I forgot my password" and then select "I don't know my username." The system will then ask for your name, address and SSN, and it will attempt to verify your identity by asking questions from your credit report that only you are likely to know.

Additional information regarding entering the 6 digit verification code to prevent getting the expired or incorrect code message:

1. Make sure to leave the window open that asks you for the code. It appears as though if you close this window and go back after you receive the code, the code will no longer be valid. If you need your browser to get your e-mail, open a new separate window, don't close the TurboTax window. To open a new tab you can press Ctrl+T on your keyboard. That way the window with the box to enter the code stays open but you can also access your email inbox in the new one and switch back in forth
  2. Make sure you are using the most recent code and not using a prior one. So if you make another attempt to enter the code make sure you use the most recent one sent to you. Every time that you ask for a code it cancels out all the previous ones that were sent and only takes the most recent. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Luther21
Returning Member

• I need the 6 digit code
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Make sure to leave the window open that asks you for the code. If you close this window and go back after you receive the code, the code will no longer be valid. If you need your browser to get your e-mail, open a new separate window, don't close it. Make sure you are using the most recent code sent to you and not using a prior one. Every time that you ask for a code it cancels out all the previous codes that were sent.  Please wait a few minutes after each code request to receive your email. It is not generated instantly. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/security/help/what-if-i-m-having-trouble-with-my-filing-verificati...

Donaldo2-

I am having same problem.  Code is never sent to my email inbox.  Cannot verify.  

Donaldo2-

I do not think I can go through all of these steps.  I am doing our custodians's taxes.  Her numbers will get mixed up with mine.  I finished my taxes.  No probelm.  Now I am trying to do hers.  Is that a problem.  Just put her name in the profile and used my password.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@Donaldo2- Have you tried opening a different internet browser to complete your custodian's taxes? If you are using Internet Explorer to complete yours, maybe try Chrome to complete your custodians. You may need to clear your cache and cookies. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try entering your information again. 

JDMTZ
Returning Member

Didn’t receive 6 digit code 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IP PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS assigns to victims of tax-related identity theft. 

If you know you need an IP PIN to file your taxes and you lost your CP01A letter (or never received it), you can:

• Retrieve your IP PIN online at the IRS's Get an IP PIN site; or
  • Call the IRS at 1-800-908-4490 to have your IP PIN mailed to you (this can take up to 21 days)

We're unable to issue IP PINs and you won't find them on your tax paperwork. You can only get IP PINs from the IRS.

I am unable to obtain my 6 digit code.  I have gone into my account and retyped in my email.  I have requested a verbal code which was not taken by the system either. I have been dealing with this for over an hour and would just like a refund and I will submit my taxes on another website since you cannot correct the problem.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

As indicated by earlier posts, the 6-digit PIN, the Identity Protection PIN is issued by the IRS, not by TurboTax.  . An IP PIN helps the IRS verify a taxpayer’s identity and accept their electronic or paper tax return. When you have an IP PIN, it prevents someone else from filing a tax return with your SSN. Use the IRS online tool Get an IP PIN or visit Retrieve Your IP PIN for more information.

According to the FAQs about the IRS IP PIN program:

If you’re unable to retrieve your current IP PIN using the 'Get an IP PIN' application, you may call the IRS for specialized assistance at 1-800-908-4490 to obtain a replacement IP PIN. Note: The telephone hours of operation are: Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time). We’ll verify your identity and issue a replacement IP PIN to you. However, please know that the use of a replacement IP PIN instead of your current IP PIN will subject your tax return to greater review and may mean a delay in processing your refund.

@lasellner60
Dionne wright12
Returning Member

• I agree it have been more than twenty one day since I filedy taxes in February and I 6 experience theav n me and the IRS can not processed with your refund until your finished your taxes 
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Your post is unclear, do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@Dionne wright12

laride80

Where is my 6 digit code?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@laride80 If you're referring to the verification code sent via email, please visit the Help Article below. If you are referring to the 6-digit IP PIN issued by the IRS, please visit this Help Article.

What if I'm having trouble with my filing verification code?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies