turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avogel350

Where is the section that you input your stimulus payment amounts? I need to update and can't locate it anywhere! Tax Year 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Where is the section that you input your stimulus payment amounts? I need to update and can't locate it anywhere! Tax Year 2020

If you haven't filed then please follow these steps to edit your stimulus payments:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

If you have already filed your return you have the option to "recall" your filed tax return. If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return.

Other than that you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

74 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

If you haven't filed then please follow these steps to edit your stimulus payments:

1. Log into TurboTax.
  2. After entering all your information click "Federal Review" at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount" click "Continue".
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.  If you did not receive a payment enter "0".
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to get. 
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

If you have already filed your return you have the option to "recall" your filed tax return. If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return.

Other than that you will need to wait and see if your return gets accepted or rejected. Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, then all you have to do is make the changes on your return and refile.
  • If your return gets accepted you will have to wait and see if you receive your refund that includes the additional credit. If yes then you will need to amend your return and send the funds back to the IRS. Please see  FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

But the IRS has not addressed the details yet. They will not open until February 12 and you would not be able to amend until that time and in the meantime, the IRS may establish a guideline. Please see this IRS Recovery Rebate Credit for more information.

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

Where in the Turbo Tax Deluxe software can you enter the information regarding not receiving the 2nd stimulus? Deductions & Credits, Other Tax Situations.  When I go into Federal Review it asks 2 questions #1 Yes, I"ve entered everything and let's review and No, I have something to enter?  When I answer the latter, it gives me a list of forms and other tax documents, I do not see Recovery Rebate Credit?

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

I am NOT in TurboTax Online, I am in the software on my PC.  Your response didn't address my question?  One would think there would be a software update to address this issue.  We've never logged into TurboTax Online. I apologize, I am old school, I enter all the information into my TurboTax and than transpose it to a paper copy tax form.  So where can this be entered or where is it addressed in the software please??

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

In the desktop versions you can use the "search" icon in the upper right on your menu bar.  Type in Stimulus, click return, and use the "Jump to..." link at the top of the results.  

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

Dear Sir....I've tried this to no avail.  As I 1st mentioned when in the Desktop Version I get the following....

When I go into Federal Review it asks 2 questions #1 Yes, I've entered everything and let's review and #No, I have something to enter?  When I answer the latter, it gives me a list of forms and other tax documents, I do not see Recovery Rebate.

When I answer, Yes Let's review, it is only catching from a 1099-R need payer zip code, payer street address, on another 1099-R, needs payer zip code, payer city and personal worksheet, it say my SS# is not a valid range.  I do this on purpose as I don't put SS# info on any electronic device unless it is a external hard drive or thumb drive.  After this, it gives me NOTHING on stimulus is TurboTax Deluxe and I just installed this on Monday, so no updates???

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

Just to update, I had an entry for a 1099-R that had no information and therefore was deleted.  Only error was relating to the SS# that I mentioned above.  Nothing about Stimulus

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

In TurboTax Desktop, are you able to access your stimulus check choices by following these steps? 

• Across the top of the screen, click on Personal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the screen, click on Done with Other.
  • The next screen It looks like you qualified for the stimulus.  Click Yes.
  • At the screen Let’s double-check the amount you received, click Yes or No and click Continue.
  • Proceed on to Federal Review and Smart Check

The TurboTax software adds together the entries that you made for receiving stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2.  Then the software computes the amount of your stimulus check amounts based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software. 

If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.  If you believe that the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return is not correct, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information.

If there is a difference, it is in one or both of these situations. 

See also this TurboTax Help

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

I am NOT sure what version of TurboTax you are looking at, in TurboTax Deluxe, I am not seeing "Personal"

My start page Tabs say "Personal Info", "Federal Taxes", "State Taxes", "Review" and "File"

Under Personal Info Getting started with Turbo Tax" and has a "Continue" box  Upper right corner has Show Topic List, Print Center and Help Center.  The only place I see "Other Tax Situations" is under the Federal Taxes Tab that provides a "few additional items that might apply to you".

I truly wish I could see what you are seeing but can't.   If you ask me, this is becoming ridiculous.

In your version it is under Federal.  You don't enter the missing amounts.  You enter what you actually received for each round in boxes 1 & 2.  If you did not get one you enter a 0.  Then Turbo Tax calculates if you qualify for more and puts it on 1040 line 30.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Enter a 0 in the box if you didn't get one.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

See this thread for screens shots of both the Desktop and Online versions.  The Desktop screen shot is from the Home & Business version.  So instead of Personal at the top you have Federal.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/turbo-tax-stimulus-question/00/1...

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

Is there a # I can call???  I've tried, answering questions and what is being asked.  Based on the guidance, one said Check Entry related to Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit.  By the guidance, I don't need the Form 1116 Form, it was $27

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

My Turbo Tax Deluxe says "Wages and Income" not Personal Income and the information in your screen shot does not populate in my software version.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@MIkeOprysko Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies