Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where is the section that you input your stimulus payment amounts? I need to update and can't locate it anywhere! Tax Year 2020

If you did not get prompted to enter your stimulus information, that means you either:

1. Filed as a dependent being claimed on another tax return, or 
  2. have an AGI too high to claim the recovery rebate

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus and use the Jump to link.  If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

markb08

Where is the section that you input your stimulus payment amounts? I need to update and can't locate it anywhere! Tax Year 2020

Hello,

My apologies, should have looked into the AGI, figured the program would ask for info from form 6475 regardless of AGI and just leave the recovery rebate blank if AGI was over the limit.

Thank you for the quick response, was really confused why it wasn't asking me but makes sense now.

Diane8
Returning Member

Tax form for 2020 there was no place on form for me to insert my Recovery Rebate credit I did not receive. I was told to do an amended return and insert $600 on my amended return. I filled it out and inserted the $600 on line 30 of the amended form and sent to out by mail on 3/20/20. Still did not receive the $600. Now I filed my 2021 taxes and again no line on the form to insert the $1400.EIP amount. I did not receive that amount either. I called TurboTax on both forms for help to no avail.  Because of your software I never received my 2 payments. I was told to wait. So sorry I used your TurboTax software.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

To claim your 3rd stimulus payment on your 2021 tax return, follow the steps below:

With your federal return open:

1. In the search box, type recovery rebate credit, select Jump to recovery rebate credit link
  2. Answer the questions on the screens that follow

It might take a while for the IRS to process your 2020 amended tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just to add my notes I just wrote up and made screen shots.

To get to the stimulus questions in TurboTax at any time, you can search for stimulus or recovery rebate credit then hit ENTER and there should be a Jump to link

If you are trying to trigger it,
Click on Other Tax Situations at top
Click on Let's get started
Answer some questions then Continue
Then click on Let's keep going
Next screen is for the Third Stimulus, if you qualify

Jump Stimulus.jpg

Ahluana

I’m just wondering about the stimulus letter I was suppose to keep it until I filed my taxes which I did i just want to know will it be with my tax refund 

AamilD
Expert Alumni

@Ahulance, yes you will enter the information from the letter in TurboTax and the software will do the calculation based on your input and will calculate the amount accordingly if any adjustment is needed.

Follow the steps below to enter your information for the Rebate Recovery Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's double-check the amount you received; you will be able to enter the partial amount you received.

Please refer to the image below

I believe that I did report our 2021stimulus payment when I filed my 2022 return in January. Where on TurboTax can I review where I should have put in the amount?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

You can look for the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet in your filed 2021 return. Line 13 will have the amount of stimulus you reported that you received for the third payment in 2021.

If you were due any additional stimulus, that amount would be reported on Line 30 of Form 1040, Recovery Rebate Credit. 

If that line is blank, that means the amount you reported as receiving was equal to or more than the amount for which you were eligible

To view your filed 2021 return:

1. Once you log in, scroll down to the bottom of the screen to Your tax returns & documents.
  2. Click Download my return

@toussingjc

madcolor
Returning Member

This does not work if you've already clicked the "Federal Review" Button. There is no way to get back and edit your response regarding Economic Impact Payment (Stimulus).

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Delete the "Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet" from your list of forms and the program will ask again.

Click TAX TOOLS on the left side-bar

Click TOOLS from the drop-down

Click “Delete a form” on the TOOLS CENTER screen 

Scroll down, find the worksheet, and delete

The question will come up again, although it may not be asked until you go back through the final review.

madcolor
Returning Member

I will try your suggestion now.

madcolor
Returning Member

Sorry.. Didn't work....

I deleted the form as suggested.. then:

1. I typed in "Stumulus"
  2. I clicked "Jump to Stimulus"
  3. I see : Let's check your federal return and make sure it's good to go
  4. I click "Continue"
  5. I see: Nice! Your federal return is in great shape
  6. I click "Continue"

So.. Deleting the form did not trigger me being able to re-enter the stimulus payment amounts.

I don't find it sufficient that I wait until final review and hope it pops up again. However, I guess it's my only option.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you deleted the worksheet

Click Review on the left side-bar

The next screen should say "Let's take care of these details now"

Scroll down to "Answers to review" and click Review

Next screen should be Check This Entry for the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet 

@madcolor

You may prefer this method. 

[Edited 03/04/2022 I 8:53am PST]

MIkeOprysko
Returning Member

I do not know if this will work, but I too was having a problem last year with not being able to populate the federal stimulus fields in turbo tax.  If  you are like me and others, we don't like entering our SS# in the field into Turbo Tax.  This was what was causing the stimulus field to not populate for me, not having a SS# where Turbo Tax requires there to be one entered.

I suggest entering you SS# and see if that works.  You can always change the last 4 digits to a dummy number when saving the file, which I always do using an external hard drive or thumb drive.

Good Luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies