TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I amend my 2019 return?

SOLVEDby TurboTaxTurboTax Online6152Updated 3 weeks ago

You can amend your 2019 tax return as long as your original return was accepted in TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download. You can’t amend a return that hasn’t been filed. You'll need to print and mail it, since TurboTax doesn't currently support e-filing an amended 2019 return.

Select your product to start.

1. Sign in to TurboTax. If you're already signed in, select Tax Home from the side menu
  2. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and select Show
  3. Select 2019 and then Amend (change) your return
  4. When you get to the Let's get a kickstart on your 2019 amended return screen, carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0—this is normal for amended returns. When you've completed your amendment, the tax due or refund will reflect any change from your original return
  1. Open TurboTax 2019. It's important that you open your 2019 return in your 2019 version of TurboTax as it won't work in other versions
  2. Select Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS
  3. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen
  4. On the following screen, Did you already file your return?, select Yes, I've already filed my return, then select I need to amend my 2019 return and Continue
  5. Make a copy of your return by selecting Save As (on a Mac, select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the return you originally filed

Need to amend your 2020 return? Go here instead.

To track the status of your return, use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Online