Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

How do I amend my 2019 return?

Need to amend your 2020 return? Go here instead.

You can amend your 2019 tax return as long as your original return was accepted in TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download. (You can’t amend a return that hasn’t been filed yet.) You'll need to print and mail it, since TurboTax doesn't currently support e-filing an amended 2019 return.

Select the product you're using to get started.

  1. Sign into TurboTax.
  2. Go to the section titled Your returns and documents (you may need to select Show).
  3. Select 2019 then Amend (change) your return.
  4. When you get to the Let's get a kickstart on your 2019 amended return screen, carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal for amended returns.  When you have completed your amendment, the tax due, or refund, will reflect any change from your original return.
  1. Open TurboTax 2019.
    1. It's important that you open your 2019 return in your 2019 version of TurboTax. It won't work in other year versions.
  2. Select Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by the IRS.
  3. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  4. On the following screen, Did you already file your return? select Yes, I've already filed my return, then select I need to amend my 2019 return and Continue.
  5. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the return you originally filed.

To track the status of your return, use the IRS's Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings