First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2018 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.
- Sign in to TurboTax and make sure you've selected Tax Home on the left side of your screen.
- If you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner to expand the menu.
- Under Your tax return & documents, select 2018 and then Amend (change) return.
- If you only see the option to amend 2017 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2018 return. Instead, just select Take me to my return, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
- Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
- Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
- When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.