Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

@john06,

Previous years allowed for both. Earlier posts from an Expert with inside connections state that the error results from an attempt to fix one thing but broke something else. If the idea that the CD can only be used for CD installs OR download installs is the official TurboTax position, then it appears as though they are entering a coverup and denial mode. I hope not because as the saying goes, "the coverup is worse than the crime". Of course, to the best of my knowledge, there is no crime. But the concept still applies. And it just leaves people wondering what they are hiding. Besides, if I only want downloads, why buy the CD?

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

And why buy the CD anyway?  As other posts have said it becomes a useless piece of plastic.  After you download it you can save or burn the install file.

@User0 wrote:

@macuser_22,

Sorry for being so slow, but you lost me. How does the "Amazon only" download figure into the problem I and others experienced after purchasing a CD with capability to do CD installs and/or download installs, but when trying to do a download install after doing a CD install the TurboTax download objects with the message that the license is associated with another account?

The "another account" is a dummy account only associated with the physicle CD.   Unless that CD is in the CD drive of the computer it is being installed on, the account cannot be located.    It cannot find any account for a download when the CD associated with the account is in a drawer somewhere.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi@VolvoGirl ,

Yes, I saw the post by critter (?). It is a useful consideration for the future, but not particularly helpful while in the midst of trying to deal with a TurboTax failure. There are a few reasons, some are personal preference. I know someone that likes to have taxes and such thing on a computer that is isolated from external connections. They don't even file electronically. They print and mail. The idea being they keep external connections to a minimum (both in number and duration).

But I think that is an aside issue. The product doesn't function as intended. The customer purchased a CD that is supposed to allow both CD installations and/or download installations. It doesn't.

Hey @macuser_22 ,

That's my point exactly. When trying to do a download installation, the download is not accessing the CD. The download installation is accessing something in the TurboTax database. So why not do something like alter the software that writes to the TurboTax database when the CD installation is being done? That software resides on the TurboTax server, not the CD. Unless they are claiming there is no intermediary between the installation on the PC and the TurboTax database (I'm not even sure how that would be done . . . some software has to interpret the bit stream coming off the internet connection).

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.  Similar situation - in the past, I mailed the disc (after I installed) to my siblings.  I figured with the unreliability of the USPS right now to just send them the code - easy breezy.  Not so much.

If the CD had said when installing "link the license code to the account" (prior to entering the code in the setup off the disc), that would have been nice.  Force everyone to have or create an Intuit account for future use.  You would think it wouldn't be too hard to add that into the programming in the future.

Remember when TurboTax was the gold standard tax software?

This reeks of a class-action lawsuit in the works.

Hey @Lenonn,

A lawsuit certainly wouldn't be my first choice. And maybe a lawsuit is what TurboTax wants . . . with many users learning that they are in violation of the license agreement??

To those struggling with the problem (unable to do a download installation after doing an installation from their CD),  the easiest work around seems to be to copy the installation software off of the CD onto a USB drive or file sharing platform (e.g. Dropbox), copy/download the files onto the desired computer, execute the installation and use the license provided with the CD. You may find a more suitable solution for you by searching this thread. If you call TurboTax, I hope you get a representative that recognizes the problem and immediately issues you a downloadable license (you will likely have to redo any installations using the license provided with the CD as they may void that license). Either way, Good Luck!

As an FYI, I reached out to Costco and was informed that Costco "Corporate buying is aware of this issue, and is doing their best to get this resolved asap!" I encourage anyone experiencing the problem (unable to do a download installation after doing an installation from their CD) to reach out to the retailer they purchased the CD from, reference this thread, and request the retailer's purchasing department to reach out to TurboTax and request that the issue be fixed. Maybe some nudging from major retailers (Costco, Walmart, Target, Staples, Office Depot, . . . ??) will at least get a response from TurboTax

For years I've used TurboTax without giving it a thought. I don't know what I'll do in the future. I'm not looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but this isn't a social media platform where someone is trying to post pictures of their aunt Nellie's birthday party; this is my taxes. And I want to know that TurboTax (or whoever) will own up to any mistakes. While some may have various reasons to trust TurboTax, the best indicator I have of how TurboTax will handle any current/future issue (big or small) is how TurboTax handles current issues (big or small). If TurboTax isn't stepping up to the plate and at least communicating on this issue, will TurboTax step forward to let me know about a more serious issues? Will TurboTax pay for mistakes that are their fault?

Companies can change over time. Maybe TurboTax is the same as they used to be. But maybe their focus has shifted away from creating user friendly software and customer service to concerns over something like trying to enforce license compliance? I'm not fond of speculation, but with respect to this issue, TurboTax's silence, inconsistent customer service response, and apparent inaction provides for nothing but speculation.

I wish TurboTax had come out with a statement admitting to the problem, their plans to address it (even if they had to report that COVID relief programs have tax implications that are consuming software writing resources), and instructions for their customer service to help those with the problem, I think many would be more understanding. But now, it seems like too much time has passed and I'm more skeptical.

I am having the same issue.  I install on my desktop and also my laptop so that when I do family member taxes I can use the laptop at the kitchen table.  installed by CD on the desktop.  My laptop does not have a CD drive so when trying to download it gives the same message "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."  

There is a problem if you installed the CD.  It doesn't connect you to an account you can find.  You have to call in and ask for the download and a new License Code.  Hopefully you get a customer service person who know about it.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Anonymous
Not applicable

If both computers are at the same location just browse your TT CD, copy all the files and paste them to a flash drive. Insert flash drive in laptop and run the setup.

Because if you buy the download only from Intuit, you get just one download for one computer. If you buy the CD, you can install via CD on 5 computers or install via download on 5 computers. You cant, however, install via CD on one computer and download on four others. You can't mix and match the installation methods. 

On the paper insert with your License Code it specifically states, "To get started, pick ONE of these install methods:  CD OR Download"

So instead of installing with the CD, use the download method only and you'll get to install it on five different computers.  The crazy thing is, the CD is the same price or, in most cases, cheaper than the download only price on Intuit's website 😮

Well, in the future Intuit needs to be clear about the limits on the "five installations".  And they need to reprogram the software to force you to make or sign-in an Intuit account and enter the key BEFORE entering the key into the CD software.

For all prior years (tax year 2019, and back) I would purchase boxed copy CD, install on my computer, give activation/license code to my child, they downloaded and activated on their computer (Mac, or maybe Windows).

This year, Tax year 2020, purchased January 2021, boxed copy with CD.

Failed activation when installing from CD,  failed activation when installturbotax.com was used.

And when I login on to the the one and only account at turbotax.com of course under downloads tab

there is only 2019, 2018, 2017, etc... no 2020 software. Which probably is because I never

made it to activation. SO I sit unable to use the Premier product at all. Needing a substitute so we can get taxes done. This version does seem to be CD OR download, not a mix of both. Support claims we are still allowed 5 PCs, but you have to choose MAC OR Windows, not both. And still is says activation code associated with another account, so nothing is working at all.  bbb.org and consumeraffairs.com and dca.ca.gov if yo are in California to file complaints. These websites for complaints are very useful, use them.

"I suspect that there is no way to fix this for the 2020 product because while TurboTax can change the code in the download product for future installs, it is not possible to change the code on a CD that is already on a store shelf."

Since it seems the problem lies in their internal accounting, not on the computer to which you're trying to download, they could fix it on their main servers.

And if that's not the case, every time I open up the program it tells me there are software updates I should download and install. So they could correct existing programs remotely via an update, just like every OS does when there's some bug.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies