turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

When entering my turbotax deluxe license code, in a second accout, in order to download turbotax onto a second computer to file a second tax return, intuit's website tells me "This license code has already been associated with an account.  Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."  The product specifically was advertised as able to file 5 returns.  How can I download it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

388 Replies

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

Use the account that is was purchased in.  You only need one account.   Log into that account  from the other computer that you own and it will download to that computer.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Good thought, but it was not purchased online , it was purchased as a CD which came with instructions to also install or download on 4 other accounts (i do not have physical access to the CD, only to the license number for downloading).  My understanding is that each account can file only 1 return, so for 5 persons to file, across 5 different computers, we'll need it on 5 accounts.  I did try to access the original account from the second computer and the Intuit system said it will take "up to 45 days" to download the original account to the second computer, which will be far too many days.

You are mixing up the Online web accounts with the Desktop program.

The Desktop CD or Download can be installed on 5 computers.    But you can do unlimited returns on one installation/computer and Efile 5.  The rest you can print and mail.   

The Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 Federal for free.  It is 24.99 to efile a state return (19.99 before March 1 and NY is free).  Or you can print and mail state for free.

To start a new return go up to FILE - New.  But first be sure to save your return with a unique name so it doesn’t get confused with another return.  Go to File-Save or Save As.  Because if you do another return and they have the same first name or initial as you their return might save over yours.

And be in the habit of saving Frequently!  When you are done save both the .tax data file and save it as a pdf file, go to File-Save to PDF.  Then you won’t need the program installed to view or print your return in the future.  Like if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  And save backups off of your computer like to a flash drive or burn a CD.

@dmaurice001 wrote:

Good thought, but it was not purchased online , it was purchased as a CD which came with instructions to also install or download on 4 other accounts (i do not have physical access to the CD, only to the license number for downloading).  My understanding is that each account can file only 1 return, so for 5 persons to file, across 5 different computers, we'll need it on 5 accounts.  I did try to access the original account from the second computer and the Intuit system said it will take "up to 45 days" to download the original account to the second computer, which will be far too many days.

Your understanding is wrong or you are confusing an online (web based) account with the CD/download software installed on your computer.     Online accounts are only good for one tax return.   The CD/download software that is installed on your computer.    When you install the CD on another computer that you own it will ask for the license code.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

My family bought a 5 return TT Home&Bus Download from Costco.  It is the PC version.  Return#1 used the link and key to download it to their PC.  Return#2 (a mac user) used this link https://turbotax.intuit.com/lp/ty19/desktop/access-my-downloads/ to get to a place where they had to enter their TT account, then they got to a link where they could enter the key and get the software.  I am Return#3 (also a Mac user) trying to download on to my computer. I cannot seem to find a place where I can get to download link that does not require a TT account entry.  I don’t know the accounts of the two prior users, but when I enter my TT account and try the key, it tells me that the key is assciated with anouther account. How can I get the software?

@PaulTaxes wrote:

I don’t know the accounts of the two prior users, but when I enter my TT account and try the key, it tells me that the key is assciated with anouther account. How can I get the software?

What do you mean.  You can only download and install the software that *you* purchased from *your* account on up to 5 computers that *you* own.  You cannot share with ANY 3rd party.

There is only one account associated with the software.  Why would you not know your own account?

I am having this same issue.  My product was not purchased online, it was purchased from Staples and it's the CD or Download version.  I'm trying to install it on a second computer.  It's not associated with my Intuit account because it was not purchased that way.  I am getting this same error when I log on with my account, however, it truly should not be associated with ANY account because of being purchased retail.

Are you installing it the same way?  Do you have the 14 digit license code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/can-i-install-turbotax-on-more-than-one-computer/0...

I think when you installed the first time you probably had to set up an account.  

No, I installed it the first time from the CD, so no, I didn't need to set up an account.  I have an intuit account, but when I logged in with that, I get that error.  The second time, I want to download it, as the computer has no media drive.

You can download it.  You will need to setup an account.

How to install Turbo Tax if you don't have a CD drive
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

If you have more trouble,

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

This is a similar problem that I am having, but even less complicated and TurboTax is making it out to be grand theft larceny!  I bought my disk from Costco as well and came home and installed it (using the provided disk) onto my desktop computer (which has a disk drive).  When I tried to install it on my laptop (which doesn't have a drive) I followed the instructions to install it via the website on the disk sleeve, signed into my existing Intuit account, and entered the license code and got the dreaded "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."  When I installed the program on my desktop with the disk, it did not prompt me to log into or create an Intuit account, but installing it via the disk must have created a new account for me without me asking it to.  How on earth do I find that account?  This is incredibly frustrating.

YES!  The exact thing happened to me with my Costco CD.  And one or two other people too.  If you find out anything or call in post back and let us know what they did to solve it.  I'm not planning to call for awhile.  So please call and let us know how it goes.

Contact Customer Service - Pick CD/Download from the produce dropdown box.
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m getting same message. Purchased disk from Amazon and loaded on my PC. Now trying to get Mac files to load on another computer with no CD ROM. I entered my username and password (same one I use every year to file) and I get the message that associated with an account. Wouldn’t it be easier to just include .exe and .dmg files on same disk?

Yes the CD does have both.  But you said you don't have a CD drive.  Try finding an external CD drive.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies