turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stakleyh

Program will not complete the download... it just hangs at 26%. I tried uninstalling and starting over, but I get the same error. Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

Program will not complete the download... it just hangs at 26%. I tried uninstalling and starting over, but I get the same error. Thoughts?

Please verify where it stops.  You said "it won't complete the download."  Do you mean "download" or "install?"  i.e., Does that mean you are downloading your purchase and only getting 26% of the installation file instead of the complete program file?    Or are you saying you can download the installation file, but when you launch it the install stops at 26%?

Or are you installing from a CD and the installation hangs?  If so, any error message?

You may have a memory issue. Close all unnecessary programs and files, reboot, and start again.

TimWhiteside
Returning Member

I am having the same issue. Updates won't load. It just sits there saying it will take approximately 2 minutes and nothing. I TRIED to uninstall and that hangs up and just sits there. I tried to reinstall, however it wont let me because the program already exists. So I tell it to remove it and it and like everything else sits there and does nothing. I have already prepared my taxes. I was trying to E-file but I needed to "update". That's when all of the problems started. Now I can't even open the program anymore because it partially uninstalled files from the program.

How can I TALK to someone to walk me through this?

I have restarted my computer and I have closed everything else

@TimWhiteside wrote:

I am having the same issue. Updates won't load. It just sits there saying it will take approximately 2 minutes and nothing. I TRIED to uninstall and that hangs up and just sits there. I tried to reinstall, however it wont let me because the program already exists. So I tell it to remove it and it and like everything else sits there and does nothing. I have already prepared my taxes. I was trying to E-file but I needed to "update". That's when all of the problems started. Now I can't even open the program anymore because it partially uninstalled files from the program.

How can I TALK to someone to walk me through this?

I have restarted my computer and I have closed everything else

I'll tell you how to phone Customer Support at the end of this posting.

For the uninstall problem, you can try to forcefully uninstall it.  I don't know if you are using Windows 7,8,10 or Mac..

Forcefully uninstall TT for Windows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax/01/260...

Forcefully uninstall TT for Mac:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/01/26050

Also, you mentioned an update message during efiling.  Were you in a loop, like  one of these 2 FAQ?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/there-is-an-update-available-for-your-version-of-t...

and

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-loop-indicates-turbotax-is-up-to-date-after-...

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

Use this contact form to get a phone number, or possibly schedule a call back.

Be sure to indicate in the dropdown product list you are using the CD/download version.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

install. ju

st hangs up

not installing from a CD

what is customer service phone number?

i have all the same that tim whiteside does!!!!  Please provide a number o I can talk to someone.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Taxes--1953

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

stops installing from cd

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax Help article below for help troubleshooting installation issues. 

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for...

Please click here for Mac.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tvceoe1780 wrote:

stops installing from cd

At what point?   Does it install everything then you don't see the license code activation screen?   If so, that's often due to the display settings--i.e., a resolution or scaling issue in the Windows settings that we can tell you about.

Are you using the Windows or Mac version, and what operating system version?

13of13

It never makes it to the point of entering the License Code. I went through the process twice and now I have 2 License Codes.  Will I be charged twice?

@13of13  wrote:

It never makes it to the point of entering the License Code. I went through the process twice and now I have 2 License Codes.  Will I be charged twice?

"Will I be charged twice?"

This is a user community forum, so we don't know anything specific about your charges.   Did you purchase something twice to end up with 2 license codes?   Without info we don't know what all you've done.   This is a public Internet forum, however, so don't post any personal info.   If necessary, we can tell you how to phone Customer Support to discuss your fees.

"I went through the process twice...."

What process is that??   Do you mean you went through the purchasing process twice?  Or do you mean you have twice tried to install the program and hit a roadblock?  Are you installing from a CD or a downloaded installation file?

"It never makes it to the point of entering the License Code."

I'm not sure what that means.   Are you using the Windows version or Mac version?

Does installation proceed OK, but then the activation screen is blank, partially-blank, missing, or has non-functioning elements?    If there is a problem with the activation screen itself, and if you are using the Windows version, we can tell you how you may be able to fix that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies