To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.
Note: Substitute XX in these instructions for the 2-digit tax year of your TurboTax software.
- Remove the application TurboTax [version] 20XX in the Applications folder.
- Version is the version of TurboTax you currently have installed, such as Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home Business.
- In the Finder, select Go Go To Folder.
- Enter ~/Library and select Go.
- Remove the following files and folders (~/Library represents the Library folder in the current user’s home folder):
- ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
- ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
- (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
- (This folder will only appear for OS X 10.11, El Capitan.)
Once you've removed those files and folders:
- Empty your Trash.
- Check first to that there's nothing in Trash you want.
- If you get any errors deleting the above folders from Trash, restart your Mac and empty Trash again.
- Install TurboTax again from the CD or download file to the Applications folder.
- Start TurboTax from the Applications folder and let it run the updates.
- Empty the Trash again.
- To make sure everything is working smoothly, restart your Mac again.