turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aacosta84

My husband and I filed jointly but its asking for our separate AGI. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
jbeasley2

My husband and I filed jointly but its asking for our separate AGI. How do I fix this?

If you are filing a joint return , you will need to use the same AGI for both of you, if you filed a joint return last year.  If you filed separately last year, you need to enter the AGI from your individual returns.  See the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on how to find your last year's AGI on your tax forms.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

We tried each of these scenarios and they were all rejected by the IRS:

Same prior year full AGI for each of us

Made 3 guesses at dividing up the prior year AGI between the 2 of us

Full AGI for husband and 0 for wife

Full AGI for wife and 0 for husband

What finally passed the IRS test was entering 0 for each of us.  The tax return was accepted by the IRS.

Zeros for each of us makes no sense but neither does the fact that the prior year filing was done with Turbo Tax and the same information was imported into this year's Turbo Tax.  Seems the software should know that we filed jointly last year and that we're filing jointly this year.  Turbo Tax should ask the right questions.

Glad that 0 worked for you and let you e-file.   For future reference,  the AGI from a joint return is the same amount for each spouse----when it asks for it next year---you enter that same amount twice--once for each spouse.  Whatever you had on line 8b of your 2019 return was just supposed to be entered by each of your names to e-file 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

On our first attempt we did use line 8b of our 2019 return and entered it for each of our names to e-file 2020.  The IRS rejected it.  I hope we don't have this same problem again for 2021.

Lots of people are having AGI rejects because the IRS is so backlogged the AGI amounts did not make it into their system.  So even if you enter it correctly from your 1040, the IRS cannot match it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BobX11
Returning Member

I tried that the first time - it didn't work!!  Bottom line is TurboTax is asking the WRONG question!!  Virtually any answer to the Spous's AGI question is wrong - unless you live in a state like Delaware which actually does calculate the Spouse's Federal AGI and it appears on my Delaware return as such!!!  But WHY would the IRS ask a question like that on a JOINT 1040???  After many different tries, I went to this blog(?) and tried ZERO - and it worked!!! 

@BobX11 The question you are asked about your AGI refers to your federal AGI on the tax return you filed in the previous tax year.  If you filed a joint return then the AGI is the same for both spouses.   The IRS then matches up the AGI with the SSN's of the taxpayers who filed using those same SSN's the previous year to verify that the same person is using the same SSN on the current return---it is a fraud prevention measure.   But the very backlogged IRS did not get everyone's 2019 AGI into the database so even if you used the correct AGI from line 8b of your 2019 return, the return could be rejected.  So---using zero can often work and allow you to e-file.

em1111

If this is the case, (filed married jointly last year, married filing separately this year) then why is TurboTax asking me for the "amount of prior year that belongs to taxpayer"??? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here?! 

If you filed a joint return for 2020 the AGI on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040 is the same for both of you.   You are not missing anything.  Just use that number.

I actually did exactly what you said I should do. I put the AGI from last year's return (2021 TY) in the box for each spouse (my in-laws). IRS has rejected 2x. 

I thought the issue might be a PIN since taxes had been done 2 years ago by a paid tax provider even though taxes are so basic they could easily be done by tax software.

So I found the PIN numbers from 2 years ago and changed, and it still rejected. So issue must be that AGI number. 

I'm going to try "0" like another user did and if that doesn't work, I'll have to mail it in, essentially wasting the state e-file purchase I paid to TurboTax. Any way to get that refunded?

ENTER 0 FOR AGI. The IRS took a long time last year to process 2021 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time.  Especially if you mailed it.  That works for most people. See,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

So I tried for a third time to e-file and this time I put "0" in for the AGI for both spouses. This makes ZERO sense since AGI is obviously not zero but dadgum if it didn't work. Federal and State returns both accepted.

Just another example of the incompetence of our federal government. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are happy that this was able to allow you to file the return. 

Please let us know if we can further assist you. @Thelowedown 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TURBO TAX DELUXE VERSION FEDERAL & STATE SOFTWARE ASKED ME TO ENTER MY OWN SEPARATE AGI FOR 2022. WTF...??? THEN IT REJECTED ME WHEN I ENTERED OUR TOTAL TOGETHER SINCE WE DID FILE MARRIED FILING TOGETHER IN 2022.  HERE I AM 2024 TRYING TO FILE OUR TAXES FOR 2023 IN 2024 AND IT REJECTED ME ONCE AGAIN! SO NOW I ENTERED 0 (ZERO) FOR BOTH.  LETS SEE IF IT WAS ACCEPTED NOW?:  TURBO TAX, NO WONDER YOU GOT SUED!  I AM GONA FILE ANOTHER CLASS ACTION FOR THIS!  IT REALLY GETS YOU AUDITTED NEXT YEAR AND FUTURE YEARS AND WHAT PAIN IN THE ASS IT IS.  LORD BEHOLD IT WAS JUST ACCEPTED!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies