Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

I want to know when I am going to receive my stimoulous check because I am disabled and I do not need to do income tax I receive only SSI

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Information about who is getting the stimulus check can be found in the links below:

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

Economic Impact Payments

The IRS has created a Get My Payment portal to track the progress of these payments for taxpayers.

IRS Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DePass
Returning Member

Thanks for the very helpful instructions to get through to an agent. I was not successful, as while the instructions mostly work, there are new options due to the CORONA Virus, and when I got to the end of the line, and IRS disconnected.

I have a simple question. My son filed his taxes not realizing he is actually a dependent (regardless of what he thinks). We have amended his return and submitted it about 4 weeks ago. I keep trying intermittently to submit my returns via Turbo Tax, only to be rejected. I'm wondering if I should send my returns in US Mail with a note to reference my son's tax id?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You can file by mail, but just be aware that the IRS is not processing paper returns at this time.  So it may be some time before your return is processed.

The alternative is to e-file without claiming him, then file an amended return claiming him after his amended return is processed.

krow14

this is so tilting i woke up at 7 am just to call these people then wait 30 min just to get an associate on the line at the irs then she hangs up on me and i call again just to find out i have to wait another day !?!!? its been almost three months since i filed my taxes...

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

Kshenda82
Returning Member

I have not received my taxes and I need to know what's going on been trying to reach somebody and can't get ahold of nobody

@Kshenda82 wrote:

I have not received my taxes and I need to know what's going on been trying to reach somebody and can't get ahold of nobody

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

swan924b

I did my taxes back on Jan 29 2020 still have not got them every time I call I get oh two more weeks or 6 to 12 weeks more .I think it is time to get a lawer .

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it has been taking longer with the stimulus payment being issued, the reduced staff, as well as the tax refunds. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

Shawn-Baker21
Returning Member

Hello my name is Angela [removed] and i am trying to see what is going on with my federal taxes i send in the paper work please call [phone number removed]

NO ONE on this Public forum can help you with the IRS processing timeline ... you must call yourself ...

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.

loel74

They have added another menu after hitting the last "2" she listed.  It all works great until there.  Once there, the menu has 1-4 that you can choose.  Hit '4' for - "All additional questions".  Then you will either get someone right away or hold for a short time.  Otherwise, you get told to call back another day.

That is your answer to help people??? It is CRIMINAL that the IRS is allowed to not take calls. I don't care if it takes 3 god **bleep** hours the automated system should NOT be able to hang up on me. I need my refund and Turboxtax is HORRIBLE and doesn't give you and real idea of where you refund is. The where's my refund tool is broken on IRS or Turbotax did something wrong with my tax return. This is ridiculous and the fact that turbotax does nothing to help doesnt make it any better. I will NEVER use turbotax again.

@mfaxon wrote:

That is your answer to help people??? It is CRIMINAL that the IRS is allowed to not take calls. I don't care if it takes 3 god **bleep** hours the automated system should NOT be able to hang up on me. I need my refund and Turboxtax is HORRIBLE and doesn't give you and real idea of where you refund is. The where's my refund tool is broken on IRS or Turbotax did something wrong with my tax return. This is ridiculous and the fact that turbotax does nothing to help doesnt make it any better. I will NEVER use turbotax again.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies