I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Thanks you @DoninGA I followed your instructions and got right through to someone

RE found

I filed my taxes is February 7th and I still have not received my refund. Every time I check the status of my taxes on irs. Gov with verification I get a message saying "No information can be given at this time" that is not  adequate service!  I tried calling and the call is automatically sent to the automatic system which says you have the option to wait in line for the next representative but then it disconnects the call.  Something needs to give because this type of business is unacceptable! What happened to great customer service?

Go into your local office I went 2 hours before they opened and I was first in line. They helped right away and I was in and out in 10 minutes!

That is pretty messed up.I done my taxes in Feburary 27th and still no refund. I am getting ready to get an attorney

Did just as it says it asks more questions then tells you that they do not send you to representatives for Tax questions and to go to the website then it hung up on me.. Ugggghhhh 

Called 10 times and followed directions.... Could not get thru says they are experiencing high call volume and the tax topic you requested is not available at this time. SMH , so frustrating.

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

I tried for 6 consecutive days & multiple tries (going through the "refund" options) with absolutely no results. I Using the method above suggested by DoninGa, I'm currently on a "10-15 min hold" to SPEAK to a representative.  If I actually get to talk to someone, I will be forever indebted to DoninGa!!