turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

View solution in original post

127 Replies

Thanks you @DoninGA I followed your instructions and got right through to someone

RE found
ecabe45

I filed my taxes is February 7th and I still have not received my refund. Every time I check the status of my taxes on irs. Gov with verification I get a message saying "No information can be given at this time" that is not  adequate service!  I tried calling and the call is automatically sent to the automatic system which says you have the option to wait in line for the next representative but then it disconnects the call.  Something needs to give because this type of business is unacceptable! What happened to great customer service?

Go into your local office I went 2 hours before they opened and I was first in line. They helped right away and I was in and out in 10 minutes!

That is pretty messed up.I done my taxes in Feburary 27th and still no refund. I am getting ready to get an attorney

Did just as it says it asks more questions then tells you that they do not send you to representatives for Tax questions and to go to the website then it hung up on me.. Ugggghhhh 
tezsgirl1

Called 10 times and followed directions.... Could not get thru says they are experiencing high call volume and the tax topic you requested is not available at this time. SMH , so frustrating.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions." 

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

onlyyrag

I tried for 6 consecutive days & multiple tries (going through the "refund" options) with absolutely no results. I Using the method above suggested by DoninGa, I'm currently on a "10-15 min hold" to SPEAK to a representative.  If I actually get to talk to someone, I will be forever indebted to DoninGa!!
onlyyrag

..and I actually got to TALK to someone!  Still need to follow up, but this method was incredible and so very much appreciated!

Said this topic could no longer be answered by an irs rep

It kept asking for my social security number, which I was told by a rep at [phone # removed]NOT to put in social info. I called several times following the instructed prompts and only got a recording saying that my call was unable to be directed and to call back. One time I was on hold for over 35 minutes and gave up. Now it's unable to go through again.

Been calling over a week now still know live person . what have. We the people do not deserve this

It works! I got through to someone in 7 minutes!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies