turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

@The Legal Scrivener  Do you have a tax question?   Your post makes no sense.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

It works!!!

Thank you so much

It seems they forgot to say press 3 for federal tax after the second to last step.

Jagfan89
Returning Member

Looks like you're voicing your IRS concerns with an entity that can't do anything about how you're handled by the IRS.  I too have your problem and don't know how to stop being disconnected from a particular department.  However, we have to deal with the IRS, somehow.

Jagfan89
Returning Member

Right!  I tell the agent I've been disconnected each time they've transferred me.  Agent says, "Ohhh, I'm so sorry that keeps happening to you.  Let me make sure I'm sending you to the right department.  Yes, please hold."  Disconnected!  We need to file our taxes with another entity besides the IRS.  Wait!  There is no other entity.  Thus, they treat us as they want to.

ai00
Returning Member

did you end up getting your refund or an attorney back in 2019?

I've been doing this for the last three weeks and yet to get anyone starting @ 7am - 7pm

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

When you call the IRS, please keep in mind there is a high call volume this time of year. Please try the steps below to contact them.    

When calling the IRS, do NOT choose Option 1.   

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language.   

Then Press 1    

Then Press 3   

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent.   

@saramae8285

Here's the article with the IRS phone number.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies