turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

The support person I talked to tried to convince me that this was a problem with my network or windows system. None of my other software programs requirenew activation codes every time I start them. I tried all of the steps to fix the re-activation question on the same computer that it has been working on and none of them work. I normally have two external drives connected to my laptop and thought I would try removing the one that I don't always have hooked up to the computer, but that didn't work. Then, just for grins, I ejected (software disconnected) my backup drive and now TurboTax starts perfectly. This is a licensing BUG in their software. There is no way that connecting or disconnecting external drives should affect whether the software thinks it is running on the same computer or not. I had this same problem last year, but never figured out the root cause. Intuit:  Please fix this BUG in your licensing software so that normal people (who connect and disconnect disk/thumb drives and other USB devices all the time) can use your software without running into a re-activation issue. I've lost at least 6 hours of my life because of this problem.  :(

I keep getting an error code that my turbo tax has been activiated 5 times already. I only have it on 1 PC . it keeps asking for the activiation code.

I have zero knowledge of the technical issues with the USB but let me propose a rather snide reason....not allowing removable devices prevents bootlegging of the software. I had a problem with TT not recognizing the key for 2019 file to import into 2020 - fortunately I never trust software and always have printed copies. Not a biggie to hand-enter the important items. Hence the key was annoying but a non-starter for me. I also discovered this year (2020) that TT hates my wireless mouse (USB dongle). So I disconnected it, plugged in a wired USB mouse, things are good.

More aggravating than anything else I was forced to upgrade the OS on my Mac. Obviously the developers at Intuit have super-high speed networks but on my slow DSL, this is a 6-8 hour download!!!! More than once, too, due to network problems. Absolutely unacceptable.

Three more reasons I'll be looking at HR Block next year.

"You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue."

This is the first problem (of many). What's discussed here and in many other threads are SOFTWARE problems, not tax questions. When I contact Intuit, I want to speak with a Tier 2 software person, someone who not only knows the software intimately, but is probably one of the developers.

And a note to Intuit - I really don't give a rat's rear anatomy about the number of times I've posted or responded. This isn't an entertainment site. I don't want amateurs trying to help solve problems, I want technical experts at Intuit.

The one time I contacted TT support I got a CPA. Nice conversation but completely irrelevant and unable to do anything about the problem.

Is anyone from Intuit paying attention to the many, many threads about software problems? No, I didn't think so.

Any chance we can get the down thumb as well as the up thumb?  No, didn't think so. Heaven forfend that Intuit would admit that some of the responses here aren't worth it.

I spent an entire afternoon into the evening between three Turbotax experts trying to determine why I couldn't get Turbotax Deluxe to load a fourth time on my son's computer.  The package says I can load up to five times.  After hours of waiting for Turbotax to respond, they say the number of times it can be loaded has changed from 5 to 3. That there is a loophole in their terms that allows them to do this. It is irritating that they are not honoring what was advertised and paid for but hide that they had disabled the ability to load the fourth and fifth times without being transparent and upfront. Causing wasted time troubleshooting a problem they intentionally created. I had to jump through hoops to order another copy of Turbotax for my son to meet a personal deadline, it also claimed it could be loaded on 5 separate computers.  Regardless of their loophole of claims to be able to change the rules at anytime this is no way to do business with any integrity.  I see others have struggled with trying to figure out why the software would not activate the five times that were advertised. I hope it results in a class-action lawsuit.  

TMH2021

I am ge4tting it on 2020 Deluxe and cannot seem to fix 

Also after the fact going back to 2019 now   Cannot get in.  

Navig8r

I had the same problem and tried all the remedies suggested with no luck.  (Turbotax had worked for about 4 weeks then asked for a key.)  So I called Intuit, the person that answered verified my account by seeing prior filings and downloads and I was given new keys for this year and last year for no charge.  Problem resolved in less than 10 minutes.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following link for suggestions to resolve the licensing code issues.

Licensing code for software

If you are still having issues after reviewing the link above, there is also a link included in that site above you can use under the Error codes section to contact us for additional support.

@TMH2021

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ZSB

I actually have a new PC as the old one died last year shortly after I had filed my 2019 1040 using TTax Premier.

@ZSB wrote:

I actually have a new PC as the old one died last year shortly after I had filed my 2019 1040 using TTax Premier.

You didn't ask any question, but are posting in a thread about folks who are being asked to reactivate a license code.   If you are using desktop software, are you launching your software, and TurboTax is asking you to activate with the license code again?     If so, below I've mentioned a common cause for that and how to correct.  It may be related to a USB or SD device you're using.

It can often be due to a USB drive or device that has changed since you installed TurboTax, such as a thumb drive, other external drive, USB printer, etc.

If you have a USB drive/device plugged into a USB port at the same time you are launching TurboTax, then unplug (or turn off) the USB drive/device, and then try launching the TurboTax program again. See if that solves the problem.    Or try it the other way around. i.e., if you had a USB drive/device plugged in initially when you installed TurboTax originally, but don't now, then plug that USB drive/device back in and try.

It can work both ways depending on what the USB system config was like at initial activation.

That happened to me one day when I forgot I had a USB thumb drive plugged in.  TurboTax asked me to reactivate, but once I removed the thumb drive, TurboTax launched normally.

Another user reported it can also happen if one inserts one of those tiny SD memory cards after activation, or the other way around if there was one inserted at the time of initial activation.

snelld

I cannot access my 2021 Turbotax software even though it is downloaded and I activated the software when I first received it.  I have tried all four of your remedies to no avail.  I am not paying a support person to correct your errors.  If you cannot help me, please refund my purchase price immediately and I will use another vendor whose product works.  I await your response.

@snelld 

This is a PUBLIC user's forum and the "helpers" here have no access to any accounts.

You'll have to call Customer Support yourself for personal support with this issue.....and if they can't fix it, then maybe a refund...up to them:

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
wmucha001

TURBOTAX DELUXE 2019 PC ESD

ESD Order 526353
COSTCO PO Number [phone number removed]68-1912
Sale Date 2019/12/05 13:24:08 PM
Key 1
QLQJK6FFR5UK9U

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@wmucha001

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

First, get the latest download from TurboTax. 

Then, Create a new admin username.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-...

Then, update drivers with iobit driver booster- specifically your internet adapter, but driver booster will update all of them.

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies