turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting the message: The direct debit option is not available due to your filing choices. How can I change that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Getting the message: The direct debit option is not available due to your filing choices. How can I change that?

In TurboTax, you can pay your IRS taxes directly from your checking or savings account with direct debit.

Here are a few things you should know about direct debit:

• Direct debit is not the same thing as direct deposit.
  • You must e-file your return; direct debit in TurboTax isn't available for paper-filers (although we do offer a simple workaround).
  • There's no charge for this service.
  • The money is withdrawn from your bank account on the date you specify (if filing by the deadline) or when your return is accepted (if filing after the deadline).
  • The IRS will withdraw the entire owed amount from your bank account. Direct debit for partial payments isn't available.

Please click What is direct debit and how does it work? to learn more. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay, so how do I change my filing choices to make it so I can use direct debit or a credit card? I owe money to the fed and get money back from the state. 

donnywong

Rather than providing a work-around, when will TurboTax actually fix this and the many other niggling problems that make this otherwise good software so painful and frustrating to use, especially when we are close to the finish line of getting our taxes done?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You will get this message if you have selected file by mail.  Direct debit through the TurboTax system is not available if you do not file electronically.  There isn't a "fix" for this, if there is no electronic transmission TurboTax can't send the payment information. 

The "workaround" is a bit of a misnomer - it is simply a link to the IRS payment system that allows you to pay without use of a paper check.  

You can mail a check with the return or set up the direct debit here: IRS Payments.

mrslovt

How do I change the choice to file by mail or e-file?  The pay by direct debit option isn't available, only pay by card.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Follow the directions below to switch to the e-filing option.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
  2. Select Tax Home from the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2019, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

Please click How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online? to learn more.

There is no 'Add a State' option.

I'm having the same issue, did you find a solution?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@EricScottJP  The thread you are posting on is from last tax season. Are you having issues with adding a state and direct debit? Are you using TurboTax Online or a download product? 

Yes I'm having issues with adding a state and direct debit. I'm using TurboTax Online.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@EricScottJP Please see the TurboTax FAQ below, for information as to why direct debit may not be coming up as a option:

What are my options for getting my state refund or for paying any state taxes I owe?

If you need further assistance, please reach out to us.

macw

Having this exact same issue.  E-filing both Federal and State (IL). Getting a refund on Federal and allows me to setup direct deposit, but for the State it only gives me the option of mailing a check and says that "The direct debit option is not available due to your filing choices."   I chose to e-file my Federal and State...  what else does it want (I have been using Turbotax online for past 12 years)

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@macw IRS and most state forms are not yet available you will not be able to complete your tax return and set up direct deposit or direct debit until all needed forms are available to file. You can check on your state's availability here. You can check the IRS forms availability hereIf you need further assistance, contact customer support here.

I didn't select "File by Mail" and I'm having this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies