turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you help me fix my tax return it was rejected

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

An e-file rejection just means that some things on your return don't match the IRS database.

If you're looking to amend (change) your return, go here instead.

First, check your email

Look for an ACTION NEEDED! email from turbotax@intuit.com. It'll give you a brief explanation of your reject and how to update it.

Didn't get an email? Sign in to TurboTax, select Fix my return, and you'll see your reject code and explanation.

Then, find a solution

Here are the 10 most "popular" IRS rejections. Select yours for detailed instructions on how to fix your return:

• IND-031-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  • FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
  • R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
  • IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
  • R0000-507-01: A dependent on your return has already been claimed on another return
  • IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing
  • F1040-164-01: Must file Form 8862 to claim Earned Income Credit
  • R0000-500-01: The name or Social Security number for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  • IND-524: The date of birth does not match IRS records
  • IND-516-01: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return

Don't see yours here? There are numerous e-file reject codes, these are just some popular ones. With your return open, search for your specific code to find help articles on how to fix the error and refile.

Finally, fix and refile your return

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection, and continue through to refile your return (either e-file or file by mail).

Note: Not all rejections will have explicit guides to fixing the information. If you aren't guided to your solution, search for the item causing your rejection and go to that section. Make the change and select File in the left-hand menu. Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

Still getting rejected?

Source: TurboTax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need help.  I have sent my tax return through Turbo Tax and it keeps getting rejected.  I need someone to call me to get this fixed.  My phone # [phone number removed].  Please call asap.   This is ridiculous!!!!!

@junkslingr wrote:

I need help.  I have sent my tax return through Turbo Tax and it keeps getting rejected.  I need someone to call me to get this fixed.  My phone # [phone number removed].  Please call asap.   This is ridiculous!!!!!

Why was the tax return rejected?  The TurboTax email you received tells you exactly why it was rejected.  What does it say?

I don't know.  Can't get into my account.  I need to talk to someone there at TurboTax....NOW

@junkslingr wrote:

I don't know.  Can't get into my account.  I need to talk to someone there at TurboTax....NOW

You cannot access your own email account?

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489

Do I need to file my 2018 return before I can file my 2019 return? 

@Aparkerlff wrote:

Do I need to file my 2018 return before I can file my 2019 return? 

No, you can file the 2019 tax return before the 2018 tax return.  Where asked if you filed a 2018 tax return answer No.  If asked for a 2018 AGI enter a 0 (zero).

To complete a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you will need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

My 2019 Federal and State tax filing were rejected.  Why?  What must I do now?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax click on "Fix this error" for instructions on what to do next or contact us here for additional assistance: Contact TurboTax.

Unfortunately, we can't see your specific error message - although if you can tell us a little more we may be able to assist in this format if you prefer. 

@Martin Goins93

Willkcee1

I was online looking to see where my irs money is and i just now saw that it was rejected.

how can i fix this

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Generally this means that something on your return doesn't match what the IRS has in their database.

Here's how you can fix it:

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection.

Note: Not all rejections will have explicit guides to fix the information. You’ll need to navigate to the program area to address the cause of the rejection.

Time-saving Tip: If what you originally entered is correct, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, a dependent that's already been claimed, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return. This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

Additional reject instruction here.

My return was rejected but I did not receive a code to fix it can you help? 

When your efile is rejected, you will receive an email telling you that it was rejected.  When you get back into TurboTax there will be a message that your file was rejected and telling you what you need to do to fix it.  Follow the directions to fix it.  If you do not know how to fix the return, then post here with the exact message and we will help you with solving the issue.

@alivia1gage2anni3 

Cbranch52
Returning Member

I can not find what i miss in my tax refund will u fix it for me thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies