E-file rejection R0000-504-02 happens when a dependent's name or Social Security number doesn't match what's in the IRS database.
First, gather the Social Security cards for all of your dependents on your return. Once you have everyone’s cards, select your version of TurboTax below for instructions on how to fix and refile your return. Be sure to enter the last name(s) and number(s) exactly how they appear on the card(s).
Social Security number tips
- Mixing up the Social Security number is a common error, so check your entry digit-by-digit.
- If your dependent recently changed their name or number, use the old one listed on their actual Social Security card.
- If their last name is hyphenated, enter the entire name in the field including the hyphen.
- If they have multiple last names, enter only the last one. For example, Melissa Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Fernandez.
- It gets a little tricky with a middle name as well. If you have multiple last names and a middle name, use only the first last name listed on your card. For example, Melissa Juana Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Gomez.