turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can not install turbotax 2020 on windows 10 laptop. I need update.

I was on with tech support for over a hour and no luck installing. Said wait for update.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

99 Replies

can you be more specific on "install"

can you download the file?

can you launch it?

does it get stuck at the activation screen? 

what version of Windows do you have? (start > settings> system >about) is it Version 2H20?

is your laptop new (purchased after 10/10/20?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

update probably won't help.  is your os windows 10S. in its default configuration you can only install apps from Microsoft Store

You can switch Windows 10 out of S Mode to eliminate this restriction

Open the Settings App

Go to Update and Security - Activation

In the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, select Go to the Store. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)

On the Switch out of S mode (or similar) page that appears in the Microsoft Store, select the Get button.

After you see a confirmation message on the page, you'll be able to install apps from outside of the Microsoft Store.

if the OS is not 10S then have you installed all windows updates especially those that involve net framework.

you can also try a complete shutdown and then reboot to try to install again

did you purchase the app from a legitimate source?

then you can try support again to push a download to see if that will install. 

@Anonymous - please read this thread 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-activation-2020/01/1750501#M621092

there is an issue and a weird workaround for anyone who has Windows Version 2H20 loaded on their machine. This version of Windows was released on Oct 10, 2020, so anyone who has purchased a new computer since that date has this new version and will be frustrated to activate TT. 

This is why I asked @slemarr123 if his machine was new and what version of windows is on the machine. 

@NCperson wrote:

@Anonymous - please read this thread 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-activation-2020/01/1750501#M621092

there is an issue and a weird workaround for anyone who has Windows Version 2H20 loaded on their machine. This version of Windows was released on Oct 10, 2020, so anyone who has purchased a new computer since that date has this new version and will be frustrated to activate TT. 

This is why I asked @slemarr123 if his machine was new and what version of windows is on the machine. 

@NCperson 

I am not sure why you posted this message with a link to a workaround that, as I already mentioned in that thread, quite clearly does not work for everyone.

There are at least four Champs (SuperUsers) who are experiencing failures with the install and the only one with 20H2 is me; the others apparently have version 2004 installed.

Again, it does not appear as if this issue has anything to do as to whether a user's machine is or is not new nor the actual version of Windows 10 installed.

Also again, I have two (identical) machines both with 20H2 installed. TurboTax Home & Business and TurboTax Business install and activate perfectly on one machine but activation fails on the other machine.

Well, it certainly sounds like the Desktop TTX has far more problems than is obviously apparent....even with some of the temp/kluge workarounds.  I'm concerned that TTX hasn't even issued an Sign-up FAQ yet for all the folks experiencing the same problem.   Certainly the "10S" problem is just plain ridiculous and TTX/MSFT need to get that cleared up between them fast.

I'm wondering if software updates will even work when they finally find the root problem. What I mean, is, does the software run an update before you get to enter the activation code in the first place? 

IF not, folks are going to need either an entirely new installation .exe file, or a download of a separate fix .exe file that corrects the user's existing-but-failing program (somehow).  I suppose this last "solution" might be best since some people can't install/reinstall desktop 2019 either with the same symptoms blocking it's activation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain - 

<<

I'm wondering if software updates will even work when they finally find the root problem. What I mean, is, does the software run an update before you get to enter the activation code in the first place? >>

in my case, the soft did in fact run the update each time I launched TT before it got to the activation screen.   

Excellent...but good thing I don't plan to buy/install 2020 until January, if I can resist doing so.  They'd better have it fixed by then.

Saw one article that indicated ~40 million people use some form of TTX last year, ~25% used desktop.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yep...Installed the TTD 2020 Premier and it hangs at the Activation window stating that there is no internet connection.  Tried all the obvious work-arounds - Reboot, uninstall/install, Run as admin, turn off Firewall and Virus protection, etc.

Even upgraded from Win 10 Version 2004 to Version 20H2.  Nothing helps, still hangs at the Activation window.

Problem has got to be in the software since there is no issue using TTD 2019.  

Making it even worse is other users with apparently the same OS configuration have no problems with 2020.

Oh well, just have to hang around until TT devs decide there really is a problem with their product.  Who knows how long that will take...

@DoninGA - did you try this? this is what resolved it for me - this is what the TT tech support rep suggested I do and it worked! it's the workaround for Windows Version 20h2.

• change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
  • launch TT and the activation screen should launch.  copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
  • change your resolution back to what is was originally. 

Yes, I tried that procedure and it did not affect the problem whatsoever.

@DoninGA wrote:

Yes, I tried that procedure and it did not affect the problem whatsoever.

I tried that procedure as well and it is certainly not a viable workaround for our issue. 

All I see is a blank, white activation screen; there is no frozen blue dot which suggests that the server might have been reached but the rest of the box was not actually visible (until the resolution was changed). 

It is tough to figure how the changing the screen resolution would resolve server connection issues.

The only other thing I can think of, is the rare need for the secondary/internal Administrator setting...I would suspect you folks have already been thru that, but I'll post it anyhow.  This is not the initial installation of the program as Administrator, but is after the program has already been installed

1)  right click TurboTax 2020 icon

2)  Select  … Properties

3)  Select the  Compatibility tab

4) In the "Settings" box … check the box to "Run this program as an administrator"

5) Apply...OK...then restart the program and try again

Later thought:  That does result in one new & annoying startup screen about the program making changes to your computer...every time you start it up.  (or at least the two times I used it on my already working 2019 software, before removing the checkbox selection to get back to normal)

<<It is tough to figure how the changing the screen resolution would resolve server connection issues.>>

I agree that with that, but I had the same experience upon activation - blank screen sometimes and a solid blue dot others.   I called TT 800 tech support and they have an AUTHORIZED workaround to temporarily modify resolution as the workaround when someone has Microsoft Version 20H2 loaded.  I found it hard to believe as well and specifically asked if the rep was reading from a scrip specific to 20H2 and challenges to get TT2020 activated....incredulously, the answer was 'yes' ðŸ™„

@SteamTrain wrote:

The only other thing I can think of, is the rare need for the secondary/internal Administrator setting...I would suspect you folks have already been thru that, but I'll post it anyhow. 

Yessir, I have been through it and, indeed, it does not work. The activation schema is completely borked.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies