Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aacosta84

My husband and I filed jointly but its asking for our separate AGI. How do I fix this?

9 Replies
jbeasley2

My husband and I filed jointly but its asking for our separate AGI. How do I fix this?

If you are filing a joint return , you will need to use the same AGI for both of you, if you filed a joint return last year.  If you filed separately last year, you need to enter the AGI from your individual returns.  See the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on how to find your last year's AGI on your tax forms.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

rlambright
Level 2

We tried each of these scenarios and they were all rejected by the IRS:

Same prior year full AGI for each of us

Made 3 guesses at dividing up the prior year AGI between the 2 of us

Full AGI for husband and 0 for wife

Full AGI for wife and 0 for husband

What finally passed the IRS test was entering 0 for each of us.  The tax return was accepted by the IRS.

Zeros for each of us makes no sense but neither does the fact that the prior year filing was done with Turbo Tax and the same information was imported into this year's Turbo Tax.  Seems the software should know that we filed jointly last year and that we're filing jointly this year.  Turbo Tax should ask the right questions.

xmasbaby0
Level 15

Glad that 0 worked for you and let you e-file.   For future reference,  the AGI from a joint return is the same amount for each spouse----when it asks for it next year---you enter that same amount twice--once for each spouse.  Whatever you had on line 8b of your 2019 return was just supposed to be entered by each of your names to e-file 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rlambright
Level 2

On our first attempt we did use line 8b of our 2019 return and entered it for each of our names to e-file 2020.  The IRS rejected it.  I hope we don't have this same problem again for 2021.

xmasbaby0
Level 15

Lots of people are having AGI rejects because the IRS is so backlogged the AGI amounts did not make it into their system.  So even if you enter it correctly from your 1040, the IRS cannot match it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BobX11
Returning Member

I tried that the first time - it didn't work!!  Bottom line is TurboTax is asking the WRONG question!!  Virtually any answer to the Spous's AGI question is wrong - unless you live in a state like Delaware which actually does calculate the Spouse's Federal AGI and it appears on my Delaware return as such!!!  But WHY would the IRS ask a question like that on a JOINT 1040???  After many different tries, I went to this blog(?) and tried ZERO - and it worked!!! 

xmasbaby0
Level 15

@BobX11 The question you are asked about your AGI refers to your federal AGI on the tax return you filed in the previous tax year.  If you filed a joint return then the AGI is the same for both spouses.   The IRS then matches up the AGI with the SSN's of the taxpayers who filed using those same SSN's the previous year to verify that the same person is using the same SSN on the current return---it is a fraud prevention measure.   But the very backlogged IRS did not get everyone's 2019 AGI into the database so even if you used the correct AGI from line 8b of your 2019 return, the return could be rejected.  So---using zero can often work and allow you to e-file.

em1111

If this is the case, (filed married jointly last year, married filing separately this year) then why is TurboTax asking me for the "amount of prior year that belongs to taxpayer"??? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something here?! 

xmasbaby0
Level 15

If you filed a joint return for 2020 the AGI on line 11 of your 2020 Form 1040 is the same for both of you.   You are not missing anything.  Just use that number.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v