turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to enter into TurboTax an IRS Direct Pay payment already made?

This month I used IRS Direct Pay to make a tax payment for 2019. I gave as a reason for payment "Tax Return or Notice". 

I haven't yet filed my TurboTax-based return for 2019. I don't want an extension. I'd like to enter into TurboTax this tax payment, but I don't see how to do so. I see the "Tax Payments Worksheet", but I don't see where to put it. It wasn't withheld. I don't see a row that makes sense in "Tax Payments Other Than Withholding".

Perhaps I should list it as an extra (fifth) estimated tax payment for 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Follow these instructions to enter a payment made in 2020 for tax year 2019.

• From the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  • Expand the menu for Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Estimated Tax Payments
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Federal estimated taxes for 2019
  • Answer Yes on the following screen, Did you pay federal estimated taxes for 2019?
  • Enter any estimated federal tax payments you made for 2019. Change the dates paid if necessary.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

29 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Follow these instructions to enter a payment made in 2020 for tax year 2019.

• From the Federal menu, choose Deductions & Credits
  • Expand the menu for Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Estimated Tax Payments
  • Click Start/Revisit next to Federal estimated taxes for 2019
  • Answer Yes on the following screen, Did you pay federal estimated taxes for 2019?
  • Enter any estimated federal tax payments you made for 2019. Change the dates paid if necessary.
gpeng63

Hi VictoriaD75 

I used IRS Direct Pay to make a tax payment for 2020. I gave as a reason for payment "balance due". 

I haven't yet filed my TurboTax-based return for 2020.  

Can you please advise?

I really appreciated 

gpeng63

I used IRS Direct Pay to make a tax payment for 2020. I gave as a reason for payment "balance due". 

I haven't yet filed my TurboTax-based return for 2020.   I'd like to enter into TurboTax this tax payment, but I don't see how to do so. Can anyone please advise?

thanks

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

There is not a way to account for a 'balance due' payment within your tax return, but you can report the amount paid as an estimated payment.

Use the following steps to go to that section and enter your payment information:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “estimated tax payments” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to estimated tax payments
  • Click on the blue “Jump to estimated tax payments” link
  • Click Start beside Federal estimated taxes and enter your information

You can adjust the date paid as needed and enter the amount of your payment.

@gpeng63

When you pay the 1040 tax due online, as you did, you do not enter that on your tax return.

Your Form 1040 will show Amount you owe, and the IRS will see that you already paid before May 17th.

Do not enter as an Estimated Tax payment

I did 2020 tax direct pay and extension directly with IRS and to state NJ using direct debit but not though TurboTax - I used direct pay tours and similar direct pay  to state. 
I now need to file. However, TurboTax lists options to pay but doesn’t include option if I already paid directly to IRS and so I’m stuck. What do I enter? It lists direct debit, credit card, pay by check, installment...no option for payment already made. 
some answers say to modify taxes and say estimated payment was made but one expert said absolutely don’t do that - leave 1040 owing taxes. They said that the IRS will know that the taxes were already paid on or before May 17. 
so when I file with TurboTax I’m stuck not knowing what to enter or how payment was made I was going to put down that I was paying by check but I’m not paying by check I already paid! please help me with what I’m supposed to put in for help payments going to be made when I already made the payment! thanks! 

I meant to say please help me with what I’m supposed to select if I already made a payment directly to the IRS along w extension using Direct Pay -

and now I’m ready to file with TurboTax is asking me how I’m going to pay and direct pay or already paid is not an option... please help me figure out what I’m supposed to select because there is no option in TurboTax to say that I already paid! Some experts said to change the taxes around to say that an estimated payment was made but expert fanfare said do not do that that the IRS will know that I paid on or before May 17.

However during the e-file process with TurboTax it lists how payment is going to be made-but there is no option to select that it was already paid with direct pay. What do I choose in that list I’m afraid if I choose the wrong thing there will be a problem and the IRS will be looking for money that I already paid! Please help! 

@lcolantuoni14 wrote:

I did 2020 tax direct pay and extension directly with IRS and to state NJ using direct debit but not though TurboTax - I used direct pay tours and similar direct pay  to state. 
I now need to file. However, TurboTax lists options to pay but doesn’t include option if I already paid directly to IRS and so I’m stuck. What do I enter? It lists direct debit, credit card, pay by check, installment...no option for payment already made. 
some answers say to modify taxes and say estimated payment was made but one expert said absolutely don’t do that - leave 1040 owing taxes. They said that the IRS will know that the taxes were already paid on or before May 17. 
so when I file with TurboTax I’m stuck not knowing what to enter or how payment was made I was going to put down that I was paying by check but I’m not paying by check I already paid! please help me with what I’m supposed to put in for help payments going to be made when I already made the payment! thanks! 

If you paid the taxes owed before the tax return was e-filed, then just select that you will be paying by check and then do not send a check.

Did you make a payment with an extension?

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

@ lcolantuoni14 

Are you trying to report a "payment made with extension?"

I may be able to tell you the steps for reporting a "payment made with extension" so that it flows to the correct lines of your return (Schedule 3, Line 9 and from there to the Form 1040, Line 31), as well as how you may be able to report a state extension payment on the state return.   Are you using desktop TurboTax (CD/download) or Online TurboTax?

ADDENDUM:   5/26/2021 at 3:40 PM Pacific

Actually I see VolvoGirl already provided the steps in her answer right above mine.  We were likely typing at the same time.  😃

I do not undersatnd what that other Volvo girl wrote - please help me

YEs I am using desktop version of Home business...

And yes I did Dirct pay with extension and NJ state with extension

However are you telling me not to just file taxes as is showing I owed Fedeal and state ?  Are you saying to modify the taxes before I file to put down that I paid?  Other turbotax experts said to do it as estiamted payment but one expert said absoltuley do not do that - and to leave taxes owed and that the IRS will realize I already paid?  So I am getting conflicitng information...I am asked how I am paying and then one experts said put down by check nbut not to change taxes to refelct that I already paid!!

Help me - I am told  4 different tings!   I really didnt want to change taxes - I had them done for my son but didnt have his license info so couldnt file so filed extnsion directly pay  federal and also thu state...

Now I want to file and getting all differences on how to proceed....are you saing since I filed extnsion and paid I now need to update the taxes to refelct that as I do not understand the directions and the fact that other expertsasre saying NOT to do that - to just say I paid with check even though I didnt;  

Did you make a payment with an extension?

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

If you made a payment with an extension you want to get credit for it on your final tax return.  It might not have been enough to cover the final tax due or you might have sent in too much and can get a refund.  The actual tax return should show the difference (if any).  

The taxes are the same as when  did extension - the amt owed are the same. So are you saying to change the taxes to reflect that I paid the amount owed.?  I am trouble following directions as others said not to do that- to send in taxes still showing whats owed and IRS will know that I paid before may 17...thats what i prefer to do but not if its wrong and one experts said to say i send a check in becuase there is not turbotax potion to say they were paid already thru direct pay w extnsions. 

I am having trouble knowing which advide and directions to follow - i will not get refund, i owe the amt i paid. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies