turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I download a previous years turbotax software?

I need to download turbotax deluxe 2019
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If you filed a return with TurboTax and want to amend, you can download the amend software. For help, go to How do I amend a 2019 return in TurboTax?

If you did not file 2019 with TurboTax and wish to prepare a new return and file an amended return that was prepared somewhere else, then you can purchase the 2019 program. Go to File your 2019 taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Casmo1

I don't want to amend a return. I have a new computer on which I want to download TurboTax 2020, but I want it to transfer information from my 2019 return. Apparently, I need the 2019 software to read the info. All of my original CDs were lost in a move last Summer, and my new computer doesn't have a CD drive.

I spoke to someone yesterday ( Issue ID [social security number removed]) and she said I would get an email within 24 hours with a link to a page that would explain to download and install previous year's software. It's been more than 24 hours, and the email has not arrived.

You don't need the 2019 program to transfer into 2020.  Have you bought the 2020 program yet?  Do you need help downloading it?  How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

Do you still have the old computer or backups?  

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2019 to transfer into 2020.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

I can't transfer my turbotax 2019 tax return to the 2020 turbotax program. I doesn't work. Why?

What file are you trying to transfer?  A pdf or the file ending in .tax2019?  You should transfer from the .tax2019 file.  If you used the Desktop program last year, see if you have another .tax2019 file on your computer.  

Thanks for your message. I am preparing the 2020 tax return and want to transfer the 2019 tax return information to the 2020 program. It asks for a password which I never set up when saving the 2019 return. I preferred to SAVE without the security of a password. What do I do now. Can't get anyone at turbotax to talk to me as they used to in the past.

Volvogirl - I figured it out. Thanks for your input. But still frustrated I couldn't talk to someone at Turbo Tax. Might have solved it in half the time.

anton1006

I have already purchase the software. I was told that I would need use the installation info. How do I download the software so that I can login and amend my 2019 taxes?

@anton1006 wrote:

I have already purchase the software. I was told that I would need use the installation info. How do I download the software so that I can login and amend my 2019 taxes?

Sign onto the download website with the User ID and password you used to purchase the software - https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/unified/downloads?route=myaccounts

twins9311
Returning Member

I have my license code from my 2020 turbo tax but was unable to download this again to my new computer.  I got a new computer and I need the info from all my 2020 income taxes.

I just downloaded the 2021 taxes successfully but now need to transfer my old info from 2020.

Can you help?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can download your 2020 program again on your new computer.

Did you Sign In with the same account you used in 2020 to purchase your download?

If so, your 2020 download should show under Downloads so that you can download it again.

Click this link for more info on Downloading TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you used the Desktop program for 2020 you need the data file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.  It is only on your old computer.  Do you still have access to it?  Or make any backups?  

Are you on Windows or Mac?
For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or starting in 2008, .tax2008, .tax2018, .tax2019, .tax2020 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder. 

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies