turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jpspear

All my turbo tax information is missing. Where did it all go?

Not fixed yet. Just installed and past years' returns are all gone, including pdfs. I really don't  understand this at all. Have been using it for years without any problems. Not in recycle and when I tried to restart last year's TurboTax it wanted the registration number, which I had, but then just wanted me to start over.

Are your prior year .taxfiles / PDF  on the hard drive  you are working on ?    The program will not find files on removable storage mediums.   If there is no return tile already present  then you can click on the FILE menu option to open the completed return or click on "find a tax file" ... do not start a new file. 

find file.PNG

Was TurboTax or Intuit hacked and we are not aware? I have used Impotrapide then Turbotax since 2004, that's 17 years !!! without fault, all my files I still had them, all software migrated to new computers I built, now a family member called to get tax information and I found EVERY SINGLE FILED GONE, deleted , NOTHING, what's going on? files don't disappear like that, I need a call or email from Intuit Staff for this or will be taking the matter higher, these files and countless hours of work don't disappear like that by themselves while the whole computer is intact, I used to just open the software and find all my files saved in the history, now even folders are empty, I even exported PDF files for copies and they are too gone....

PLEASE ANSWER ASAP for a fix to this!!

I need an urgent follow up on this, if you got a level 100 please respond, no one looses files like this, you MUST be aware of some bug that you caused through an update or conflict with something, you cant be after so many people raised the issue playing the card of " have you checked this, that, have you restarted your computer" .

I m seriously pissed, I lost years of tax files including business tax files, I need a follow up and transparency quick into what happened and how to restore my files, you MUST BE AWARE OF something you caused through an update or something. THERE IS NO WAY JUST INTUIT FILES DISAPEAR while the whole computer is intact, 

A REAL FIX IS NEEDED QUICK

Check your trash file; I found that every-time Turbo Tax updates it throws the files in the trash. It's a programing error. Makes me think someone at turbox Tax has a sick sense of humor. I started saving my file in other files, like onedrive.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@senuoy

If you followed these steps and still cannot locate your tax data files please contact customer service for further assistance.

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support to obtain a contact number:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300041

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

THIS IS AN ISSUE!!! I bought the 2020 Premier CD and installed it  - same as I have done for the last 10 years - on the same PC. When it asked do I want to transfer last  year's info - of course I do - but TT could not locate it. I did all of the recommended searches and no luck. I called TT/Intuit and was told that since it was on my PC they could not assist. I asked if this was a broader issue with the software and was told no, they were no help. I really don't know where else to go on this - this is a bug caused by installing the 2020 version. No other files are gone and I am 100% positive previous years were there before I installed.

HELP!!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help with transferring your 2019 file has been provided for you below. You can try uninstall then a reinstall. Also just in case your tax returns were prepared with desktop software, they are stored on your personal computer.

Transfer last year's return to 2020 TurboTax for Windows

@ rental-help wrote:

THIS IS AN ISSUE!!! I bought the 2020 Premier CD and installed it  - same as I have done for the last 10 years - on the same PC. When it asked do I want to transfer last  year's info - of course I do - but TT could not locate it. I did all of the recommended searches and no luck.

I called TT/Intuit and was told that since it was on my PC they could not assist. I asked if this was a broader issue with the software and was told no, they were no help. I really don't know where else to go on this - this is a bug caused by installing the 2020 version. No other files are gone and I am 100% positive previous years were there before I installed.  HELP!!

"all of the recommended searches."

A lot of people in a user community forum make recommendations, so we don't know what all you have done.   So some of the following may be redundant.   You didn't say what operating system you are using, so I'll assume you are using Windows since you said "PC."  If you are using the Windows version, the default location for any current or prior *.taxYYYY data files is the Documents\TurboTax folder, but the tax data files might be stored elsewhere, depending on one's choice.

So search the entire system for any file ending in *.tax2019 and also look in the Recycle Bin.

If you have more than one Windows user account on your PC, log into each user account, and do the searches and Recycle Bin check from within each Windows user account.

If you have any backup archive such as on an external device, search it, too.   I keep a new copy of my *.taxYYYY data file on a USB drive every time I work on my return just in case something happens to my hard drive during or after tax season and as "insurance" for next year's transferring.

Now something you said I don't understand.   You said "when it asked do I want to transfer last year's info - of course I do - but TT could not locate it."    

In the Windows version, when you start a new return, it doesn't offer to actually do a transfer UNLESS it first finds the prior-year tax return, and even then it doesn't ask it outright as a question, it simply has that transfer option as a blue button.   So if you saw an option to actually transfer the prior return, that means that it did find it.  

For example, as soon as you start a new return in the Windows version, this is what you would likely see: TurboTax automatically starts searching your computer for the prior-year return without you having to tell it to.  The screen would automatically say "Let's Find and Transfer Last Year's Tax Return" (it requires no response), and you'll see it go to work searching your computer to see if it finds a *.tax2019 data file.    If and when it finds last year's *.tax2019 data file, the screen then says "Good news!  We found your info!"   and then there is a blue TRANSFER RETURN button that one clicks to transfer.    If it didn't find the *.tax2019 data file, there is a blue Browse button that opens a Windows File Explorer box to point TurboTax to it (assumes one knows the existence and location of the file, which you don't.)

Hello - appreciate the responses. I am on Windows and did all of the *.tax searches and looked in the recycle bin with no luck. I am not sure of the exact way the transfer options went but your description seems correct - TT did do a search with no results. I have not tried the uninstall and reinstall option yet, but will will if needed. My impression is TT somehow overrode or replaced my previous TT folder. My own fault but I did not  print out my last tax return and need that info to even start all over. I know I can request it from the IRS but trying everything to get my previous TT files.

Update: fortunately I add an external hard drive attached to this PC and was able to recover the files. Otherwise I would have been SOL. I hope this is isolated and not something others experience. Lesson learned for me to print all copies and keep my external hard drive current.

All of my previous tax documents are missing as well. Sounds like a turbotax problem. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

May I ask have you checked your trash file to see if it's there? If not, can you try logging out of your TurboTax account, clear cache and delete cookies. Then try logging back in to your TurboTax account. If all the previous tax documents are still missing after trying the above steps, I would suggest using the FAQ link posted below and reach out to TurboTax customer support to make them aware of this issue and for assistance:

TurboTax customer support

Churchill

All my 2019 TurboTax information does not appear on my laptop.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies