Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ rental-help wrote:

THIS IS AN ISSUE!!! I bought the 2020 Premier CD and installed it  - same as I have done for the last 10 years - on the same PC. When it asked do I want to transfer last  year's info - of course I do - but TT could not locate it. I did all of the recommended searches and no luck.

I called TT/Intuit and was told that since it was on my PC they could not assist. I asked if this was a broader issue with the software and was told no, they were no help. I really don't know where else to go on this - this is a bug caused by installing the 2020 version. No other files are gone and I am 100% positive previous years were there before I installed.  HELP!!

"all of the recommended searches."

A lot of people in a user community forum make recommendations, so we don't know what all you have done.   So some of the following may be redundant.   You didn't say what operating system you are using, so I'll assume you are using Windows since you said "PC."  If you are using the Windows version, the default location for any current or prior *.taxYYYY data files is the Documents\TurboTax folder, but the tax data files might be stored elsewhere, depending on one's choice.

So search the entire system for any file ending in *.tax2019 and also look in the Recycle Bin.

If you have more than one Windows user account on your PC, log into each user account, and do the searches and Recycle Bin check from within each Windows user account.

If you have any backup archive such as on an external device, search it, too.   I keep a new copy of my *.taxYYYY data file on a USB drive every time I work on my return just in case something happens to my hard drive during or after tax season and as "insurance" for next year's transferring.

Now something you said I don't understand.   You said "when it asked do I want to transfer last year's info - of course I do - but TT could not locate it."    

In the Windows version, when you start a new return, it doesn't offer to actually do a transfer UNLESS it first finds the prior-year tax return, and even then it doesn't ask it outright as a question, it simply has that transfer option as a blue button.   So if you saw an option to actually transfer the prior return, that means that it did find it.  

For example, as soon as you start a new return in the Windows version, this is what you would likely see: TurboTax automatically starts searching your computer for the prior-year return without you having to tell it to.  The screen would automatically say "Let's Find and Transfer Last Year's Tax Return" (it requires no response), and you'll see it go to work searching your computer to see if it finds a *.tax2019 data file.    If and when it finds last year's *.tax2019 data file, the screen then says "Good news!  We found your info!"   and then there is a blue TRANSFER RETURN button that one clicks to transfer.    If it didn't find the *.tax2019 data file, there is a blue Browse button that opens a Windows File Explorer box to point TurboTax to it (assumes one knows the existence and location of the file, which you don't.)