Your tax data file (.tax file) is not the same thing as a PDF copy of your return.
A .tax file can only be opened in the TurboTax CD/Download software to read and edit your return. And because it’s stored locally on your computer, we can't retrieve tax data files prepared in the TurboTax CD/Download software. E-filing doesn't keep a copy of your return on our servers.
How to find your tax data file
- Select the Start Menu and select search or use Cortana search if you're using Windows 10.
- Search for *.tax2018 (or whichever year you are searching for, *.tax2017,*.tax2016, etc.).
- Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it. This can cause errors.
- In the search results, copy the file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents TurboTax folder.
- open your tax return using thesame version of TurboTax for that year (for example, open your 2018 return in the TurboTax 2018 program, 2017 return in TurboTax 2017, etc.).
- Lost or misplaced your CD or download? Review yourreplacement options.
If you can't find your file, it may have been saved under a different Windows account or to an external storage device. Repeat these instructions in your other account(s) or after plugging in your external storage device.