Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RC42
Level 1

Activation Code

It appears to be a waste of time entering information into the “Support” online. I did that, it gave me a phone number to call and a Support ID number.  I called the phone number it gave me which only gave me the option to get some information via text or email.  The same information that I saw online which didn’t help in the first place.  No option to talk to a human.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

The call volume could just be very high; please try the support number again. However in the interim, if your issue is regarding the nature of the original post (being asked for activation code again) please review this FAQ @RC42.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Activation Code

@EbonyA @RC42 

I turned on my USB-connected Canon printer to print out a Quicken Tax Summary and TT started asking me for an activation code.   I've been using TT all day doing different returns and jumping between different returns; I'll bet I've opened and closed TT thirty times today alone, with no problems.  Then, all of a sudden, it starts asking for my activation code.  Panic....., did some research online and low and behold......

Turned the printer off and got in to TTax again with no problems.......

TT appears to be using the age-old method of hardware footprint in determining how many computers you load the software on (a method Microsoft quit using decades ago).  When you first install the software, TT takes a 'picture' of your connected hardware.  Any deviation from that setup, TT assumes it is a different computer.  If, after successfully getting in and working in TT you suddenly start being asked for the activation code again, look at your hardware!!!  What printers or thumb drives or external hard drives, etc.; ANY USB DEVICES; were plugged in / turned on / not plugged in, etc. when you loaded the TT software the first time.  Get your pc back to that original configuration and you should have no trouble getting back into the software.

WHY TT TECH SUPPORT DOESN'T STILL OFFICIALLY MENTION THIS FIX WHEN SO MANY OF US HAVE DISCOVERED IT (see other threads along this same subject line) IS BEYOND ME!  IT IS SO SIMPLE, YET FOLKS LIKE @EbonyA , SUPPOSED EXPERTS, STILL DIRECT PEOPLE TO THE COMPLICATED, AND MOST LIKELY WRONG, SOLUTION VIA THAT LINK. 

KISS PRINCIPLE; Keep It Simple Stupid.....

Start simple and work from there.

ellievb
Returning Member

Activation Code

I had to have my computer repaired and switched Tubo Tax to another computer I own.

I have entered both I.D. numbers now that I have the machine back but won't accept either number.

I have both Business and Home and Business.

Eleanor Von Boncel

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Activation Code

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@ellievb

jrf2

Activation Code

Where do I find my activation code

Activation Code

You need a 14 digit (for 2019) or 16 digit (for 2020) License Code to activate the Desktop program.

Where is the License Code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/852973

If you Downloaded from a retailer and can't find the License Code

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-can-t-find-my-license-code/01/855903

rrmiranda
Returning Member

Activation Code

I have purchased TT for 15 years. During the perpetration of my 2019 Federal Return, TT kept asking me for my key.   I did not think much about this as I thought TT was just getting tougher on fraudulent copies.   However, after the 5th time, I was locked out three days before my return was due.   I repurchased TT for 2019 to complete my returns, but am locked out again.    For 2020, I purchased TT for Business and TT Premier.  The same issue is occurring.  I will be locked out again after 5 starts.  

What is the problem with TT?    I purchased TT at Costco and now I cannot prepare my returns.   Why?  Also, I want TT to reinstate the 2019 software I purchased and cannot utilize.  

Respectfully, 

[email address removed]

Activation Code

@rrmiranda wrote:

I have purchased TT for 15 years. During the perpetration of my 2019 Federal Return, TT kept asking me for my key.   I did not think much about this as I thought TT was just getting tougher on fraudulent copies.   However, after the 5th time, I was locked out three days before my return was due.   I repurchased TT for 2019 to complete my returns, but am locked out again.    For 2020, I purchased TT for Business and TT Premier.  The same issue is occurring.  I will be locked out again after 5 starts.  

What is the problem with TT?    I purchased TT at Costco and now I cannot prepare my returns.   Why?  Also, I want TT to reinstate the 2019 software I purchased and cannot utilize.  

Respectfully, 

[email address removed]

This issue would best be handled by TurboTax support

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Activation Code

You will need to contact us at the link below.  Let the agent know what is happening and they will be able to assist you.

Contact TurboTax

Activation Code

Thank you!  I went through all of Intuits "solutions" with no success.  Removed the flash drive and back in business.  Can we say buggy software.  

Activation Code

The software is just trying to make sure the hardware is exactly the same as the machine the software was installed on.  Its a check to see if you reloaded it on another machine.  The thing that is buggy here is the support that does not provide clues to the fix.

Activation Code

I bought the Turbotax CD on Amazon. I can prove it. I loaded the cd and activated it. I also loaded a LOT of my 2020 tax info and saved it. Now it is asking for the activation code AGAIN and I dont have it. What can I do?

Activation Code

One user said......

I was just having this same issue, but I just figured it out. So I thought I'd share in case you are still looking for an answer. Go to Your Account; then Digital Games and Software (under Digital Content and Devices section at the bottom middle); your TurboTax purchase should show there under Downloads and Codes; the license code will be the 16 digit code next ot "Activation Key". Hope this helps!

But first try this....

Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it.  Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was.  It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again.  It worked.  Or you may need to connect a flash drive or printer or something that was connected when you originally installed the program.

Activation Code

You'll probably have to buy the software again like they did to me. This is the worst test using this. I think it might just be easier to go back to my accountant. These people don't care one little bit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies