turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

After filling out the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property section we get an error on line 1 of form 8911.  On Form 8911 we have a description of the installed charger with the cost of 825. Business use and Section 179 are blank on the worksheet but Line 1 shows 825. in red.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

The IRS recently clarified changes to Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit. TurboTax is planning to make updates around this by February 29, 2024. 

Please check back then to ensure you are eligible to receive this credit. Thank you for your patience. 

[Edited 02/22/22| 10:45 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Please use Taxact or any other online tax software to submit and not wait. I made this mistake and was waiting until today and went ahead with the former. IRS accepted my return and now i can wait to get my refund. What a pain with Turbo tax, I have requested a refund and that is another ball with them as its online and not through customer care. 

View solution in original post

237 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

After testing this situation in TurboTax, the error message generated for the red input states the following:

The IRS made updates to Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.  TurboTax is planning to make updates around this by 02/21/2024.  Please check back then to be sure you are eligible to receive this credit.

The 'red' entry is to insure that you do not file the tax return before the updates are made in the program.  

@Gene_Kessler

[edited 2/17/2024 | 5:55 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

BUT, don't bother returning to the form, to check for an update until 22 February.

Even though they say 21 28  (i.e. probably 29) Feb, the updates only RARELY happen during US daytime on a Wednesday...commonly no one gets into an updated form until a Thursday, and sometime a Friday. 

(It's been the same dating problem the whole tax season...use a Thursday date..never a Wednesday)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
DManf

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Thanks so much.  Wouldn't it behoove TT to tell users that info?  So much wasted time!

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This has now been pushed back to February 28.  Not sure I believe it at this point.  I switched from H&R Block to Turbo Tax since form 8911 was and still is listed as available.  And then after I complete all the forms and I pay for the service, upon review I am informed it’s actually not ready to efile.   Why this new information after I pay?  

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I've been waiting to file my taxes for a month and just saw the update pushed back to 2/28. Very disappointed and frustrated. 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Now the system says 2/28/2024 before the form will be ready.   Absolutely ridiculous 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Now the app says 2/28/2024 before the form will be ready. Ridiculous. 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

This is unbelievably frustrating... 😡 this is the second time the date has been changed on this form. There is nothing "turbo" about this... I could've filed my taxes with a real tax person weeks ago. You're about to lose a longtime customer.

EV-mug

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

It looks like the IRS made changes to the form and you are no longer eligible for the credit if your vehicle charger is within certain census areas (specifically urban centers). Very unfortunate. No more tax breaks for existing EV owners…

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Ridiculous. Is this delay because TurboTax doesn't trust us to look up our own address on the website to determine eligibility? Just let me file the form! You took my money already. 

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Looks like Turbo Tax is creating a new worksheet for this form?  Line 1 now requires the information below:

”Attach a separate statement listing, for each property, a description and eligible census tract location for the property, including the 11-digit census tract Geographic Identifier (GEOID) for the population census tract. The 11-digit census tract GEOID is a GEOID defined by the U.S. Census Bureau and comprised of a 2-digit state GEOID, 3-digit county GEOID, and 6-digit census tract GEOID. The 11-digit census tract GEOID provides a unique identifier for each population census tract in the United States, including tracts in U.S. territories.”

It may be better to file without this credit and send in an amended return by mail to get it later.  

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

Where's the Turbo?  I have used TT to file every year for over 20 years.  I was ready to file over 3 weeks ago.  The date for the revised form has been pushed back at least 3 times now.  It is very frustrating and disappointing that Intuit can not get there act together.  This will be the last year using TT for me.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

For all the money TT collects they should be working nights and weekends as emergency fix to satisfy customers!!!! New product for me next year.

Form 8911 Line 1 Error

I, too, have had the e-file delay because turbo tax has not received an updated Form 8911 three times now. It also says that my qualifying may also be tentative based on what the updated form says. First the message was expected updates would be 02/14/2024. Then it was revised to say 02/21. Now it is saying 02/28. 

I am also told that I could (paper) mail my return.

Should I paper file my return or keep on waiting for TurboTax to get this "update"?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies